|By PR Newswire||
|August 13, 2014 09:00 AM EDT||
VANCOUVER, Canada, Aug. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SIGGRAPH 2014 -- Cloud graphics company, OTOY Inc., today announced expanded support for its acclaimed OctaneRender™ software, giving artists and animators more choice in where and how they work and accelerating content creation by bringing lightning fast true-to-life rendering to four more popular 3D applications. Along with previously announced plugins for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe After Effects, OctaneRender™ plugins are also in development for The Foundry's NUKE compositing software, Side Effects Software's Houdini™ 3D animation software, Autodesk's MotionBuilder® 3D character animation software, and Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4.
Following the unveiling this week of holographic video, a groundbreaking new media format for immersive, photorealistic content, OTOY also revealed further details of the content pipeline that will allow artists, animators, designers and engineers to capture, create, publish, and display their own holographic videos by harnessing light field rendering technology in OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition in the months to come. OTOY also revealed new means of applying the same holographic light field data within 3D engines such as Unreal, physical simulation engines such as Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) Engine, and audio engines to simplify design of games and other interactive applications while improving realism. OTOY is demonstrating both OctaneRender™ and ORBX holographic video this week at the annual international conference on computer graphics, SIGGRAPH 2014, in booth 1447 of the Vancouver Convention Center.
"OTOY has achieved the impossible task of simplifying the complex science of true-to-life rendering down to a series of mouse clicks," said Vik Sohal, co-founder of Pixelux. "With the integration of Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter Engine into OctaneRender Cloud Edition, we're providing the same intuitive simplicity to finite-element-based destruction, letting content creators apply the intricate math behind the material properties and object interactions that make up the real world without needing to be simulation experts themselves."
"Working with a growing list of exceptional partners, OTOY continues to make OctaneRender more accessible to content creators everywhere while adding functionality," said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. "Holographic video is an exceedingly elegant format that simplifies the production and sharing of incredible 3D experiences while holographic light field data opens the door to extraordinarily sophisticated, yet easy to implement simulations of physics and audio, and streamlined game and 3D application development. OTOY's holographic video pipeline is flexible not only for how it allows content creators to work, but also for the myriad of options content creators will have in harnessing holographic data to make their work easier."
Extending the value of holographic data through OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition
OctaneRender™ is renowned for its simplicity and ease-of-use, taking advanced material rendering concepts that traditionally have required knowledge of shader programming, and transforming photorealistic scene-building to a simple point-and-click exercise using OctaneRender™'s efficient node graph. Now OTOY is bringing the same simplicity to other advanced simulation elements including physics, audio, and other 3D engines in its forthcoming OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, harnessing the holographic data for faster, more accurate simulations.
- Improving destruction simulations – Pixelux's acclaimed DMM Engine is the physical simulation engine that will be integrated into OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, giving content creators access to the same advanced technology used to create high-end destruction simulations for major motion pictures. With the integration, content creators will have an easy means of applying real-world physical simulation to their scenes without worrying about performance limits. Using DMM's incredible ability to allow the simulation of complex structures bending and breaking made of anything from diamond to jelly, content creators will be able to create the visual reality to match their imagination all through advanced simulation.
- Improving audio simulations – Audio has always been a challenge for interactive 3D scenes, particularly for VR experiences that are wholly immersive. Using holographic data within OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, complex acoustic simulations can be made to match a rendered scene perfectly, including the way audio bounces off of objects in a scene much the way light does. Combined with DMM, audio associated with the collision, bending, tearing, and fracture of objects within a scene can also be easily simulated.
- Supporting other 3D engines – For game development or the production of interactive environments for design, architecture, and attractions, other 3D rendering engines may be desired rather than OctaneRender™'s. OTOY's cloud-based, real-time photorealistic 3D engine, Brigade, and Epic's Unreal Engine will be supported, allowing for holographic data to be used as environment maps simplifying things such as collision detection.
Building out the holographic video pipeline
OTOY's end-to-end pipeline brings together several technologies for the production and publishing of holographic videos and supports the most popular third-party software so that content creators can work where and how they prefer:
- Capture: OTOY's LightStage™ marks the first step in creating true-to-life holographic videos, enabling the capturing of people, objects, or environments to generate virtually perfect "digital doubles".
- Create: Whether using LightStage™ to capture real-world objects or forgoing that step for the purposes of creating entirely computer-generated scenes, OctaneRender™, OTOY's suite of advanced 3D rendering software for workstations and the cloud, is the key ingredient in bringing the visual elements of holographic video to life. Using OctaneRender™ Standalone Edition, or an OctaneRender™ plugin for one of more than 20 of the most popular 3D modelling applications, content creators can optionally import objects captured within LightStage or existing 3D assets from other film or entertainment properties, then build their scene in their application of choice, saving it to a static, non-holographic .ORBX file.
- Publish: To export the static .ORBX scene file to an interactive holographic video, content creators will need to use OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition which will support one-click exporting to holographic video. For those looking to enable movement within a scene, OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition will also export to Brigade. Virtual reality head-mounted displays such as the Oculus Rift will also be supported, allowing holographic videos to be exported and immediately viewed.
OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition and the .ORBX holographic video player are both currently in closed betas and will be released to content creators later this year. Integration of Pixelux's DMM Engine will also be available on OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition at that time. OctaneRender™ plugins for Photoshop, After Effects, NUKE, Houdini, MotionBuilder, and Unreal Engine 4 will be available this year. For more information, or to become a part of the OctaneRender™ and holographic video ecosystem, contact OTOY at [email protected].
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY's Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economics in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.
- See images and videos of OctaneRender plugins on the OTOY blog here.
- Read more about OTOY's holographic video announcement on the OTOY blog here.
- See OTOY's demonstration of holographic video on YouTube here.
- See video and examples of LightStage™ on YouTube here.
- Arrange a meeting with OTOY at SIGGRAPH 2014, August 12-14, booth 1447 in the Vancouver Convention Center by contacting us here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software on OTOY's Facebook page here.
- Read more details about the versatile .ORBX interchange file format on OTOY's blog here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
SOURCE OTOY Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,565
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 4,340
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,629
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,172
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 20, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 5,819
Hardware virtualization and cloud computing allowed us to increase resource utilization and increase our flexibility to respond to business demand. Docker Containers are the next quantum leap - Are they?! Databases always represented an additional set of challenges unique to running workloads requiring a maximum of I/O, network, CPU resources combined with data locality.
Jan. 20, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 727
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 3,695
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 6,075
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 5,505
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 2,920
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 6,381
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 4,748
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,712
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,934
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and containers together help companies achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of Dev...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 4,271
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 20, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 2,973
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 6,866
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 9,073
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive ad...
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 1,633
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 3,651