|By PR Newswire||
|August 13, 2014 09:00 AM EDT||
VANCOUVER, Canada, Aug. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SIGGRAPH 2014 -- Cloud graphics company, OTOY Inc., today announced expanded support for its acclaimed OctaneRender™ software, giving artists and animators more choice in where and how they work and accelerating content creation by bringing lightning fast true-to-life rendering to four more popular 3D applications. Along with previously announced plugins for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe After Effects, OctaneRender™ plugins are also in development for The Foundry's NUKE compositing software, Side Effects Software's Houdini™ 3D animation software, Autodesk's MotionBuilder® 3D character animation software, and Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4.
Following the unveiling this week of holographic video, a groundbreaking new media format for immersive, photorealistic content, OTOY also revealed further details of the content pipeline that will allow artists, animators, designers and engineers to capture, create, publish, and display their own holographic videos by harnessing light field rendering technology in OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition in the months to come. OTOY also revealed new means of applying the same holographic light field data within 3D engines such as Unreal, physical simulation engines such as Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) Engine, and audio engines to simplify design of games and other interactive applications while improving realism. OTOY is demonstrating both OctaneRender™ and ORBX holographic video this week at the annual international conference on computer graphics, SIGGRAPH 2014, in booth 1447 of the Vancouver Convention Center.
"OTOY has achieved the impossible task of simplifying the complex science of true-to-life rendering down to a series of mouse clicks," said Vik Sohal, co-founder of Pixelux. "With the integration of Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter Engine into OctaneRender Cloud Edition, we're providing the same intuitive simplicity to finite-element-based destruction, letting content creators apply the intricate math behind the material properties and object interactions that make up the real world without needing to be simulation experts themselves."
"Working with a growing list of exceptional partners, OTOY continues to make OctaneRender more accessible to content creators everywhere while adding functionality," said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. "Holographic video is an exceedingly elegant format that simplifies the production and sharing of incredible 3D experiences while holographic light field data opens the door to extraordinarily sophisticated, yet easy to implement simulations of physics and audio, and streamlined game and 3D application development. OTOY's holographic video pipeline is flexible not only for how it allows content creators to work, but also for the myriad of options content creators will have in harnessing holographic data to make their work easier."
Extending the value of holographic data through OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition
OctaneRender™ is renowned for its simplicity and ease-of-use, taking advanced material rendering concepts that traditionally have required knowledge of shader programming, and transforming photorealistic scene-building to a simple point-and-click exercise using OctaneRender™'s efficient node graph. Now OTOY is bringing the same simplicity to other advanced simulation elements including physics, audio, and other 3D engines in its forthcoming OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, harnessing the holographic data for faster, more accurate simulations.
- Improving destruction simulations – Pixelux's acclaimed DMM Engine is the physical simulation engine that will be integrated into OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, giving content creators access to the same advanced technology used to create high-end destruction simulations for major motion pictures. With the integration, content creators will have an easy means of applying real-world physical simulation to their scenes without worrying about performance limits. Using DMM's incredible ability to allow the simulation of complex structures bending and breaking made of anything from diamond to jelly, content creators will be able to create the visual reality to match their imagination all through advanced simulation.
- Improving audio simulations – Audio has always been a challenge for interactive 3D scenes, particularly for VR experiences that are wholly immersive. Using holographic data within OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, complex acoustic simulations can be made to match a rendered scene perfectly, including the way audio bounces off of objects in a scene much the way light does. Combined with DMM, audio associated with the collision, bending, tearing, and fracture of objects within a scene can also be easily simulated.
- Supporting other 3D engines – For game development or the production of interactive environments for design, architecture, and attractions, other 3D rendering engines may be desired rather than OctaneRender™'s. OTOY's cloud-based, real-time photorealistic 3D engine, Brigade, and Epic's Unreal Engine will be supported, allowing for holographic data to be used as environment maps simplifying things such as collision detection.
Building out the holographic video pipeline
OTOY's end-to-end pipeline brings together several technologies for the production and publishing of holographic videos and supports the most popular third-party software so that content creators can work where and how they prefer:
- Capture: OTOY's LightStage™ marks the first step in creating true-to-life holographic videos, enabling the capturing of people, objects, or environments to generate virtually perfect "digital doubles".
- Create: Whether using LightStage™ to capture real-world objects or forgoing that step for the purposes of creating entirely computer-generated scenes, OctaneRender™, OTOY's suite of advanced 3D rendering software for workstations and the cloud, is the key ingredient in bringing the visual elements of holographic video to life. Using OctaneRender™ Standalone Edition, or an OctaneRender™ plugin for one of more than 20 of the most popular 3D modelling applications, content creators can optionally import objects captured within LightStage or existing 3D assets from other film or entertainment properties, then build their scene in their application of choice, saving it to a static, non-holographic .ORBX file.
- Publish: To export the static .ORBX scene file to an interactive holographic video, content creators will need to use OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition which will support one-click exporting to holographic video. For those looking to enable movement within a scene, OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition will also export to Brigade. Virtual reality head-mounted displays such as the Oculus Rift will also be supported, allowing holographic videos to be exported and immediately viewed.
OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition and the .ORBX holographic video player are both currently in closed betas and will be released to content creators later this year. Integration of Pixelux's DMM Engine will also be available on OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition at that time. OctaneRender™ plugins for Photoshop, After Effects, NUKE, Houdini, MotionBuilder, and Unreal Engine 4 will be available this year. For more information, or to become a part of the OctaneRender™ and holographic video ecosystem, contact OTOY at [email protected].
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY's Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economics in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.
- See images and videos of OctaneRender plugins on the OTOY blog here.
- Read more about OTOY's holographic video announcement on the OTOY blog here.
- See OTOY's demonstration of holographic video on YouTube here.
- See video and examples of LightStage™ on YouTube here.
- Arrange a meeting with OTOY at SIGGRAPH 2014, August 12-14, booth 1447 in the Vancouver Convention Center by contacting us here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software on OTOY's Facebook page here.
- Read more details about the versatile .ORBX interchange file format on OTOY's blog here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
SOURCE OTOY Inc.
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Dec. 18, 2014 08:45 PM EST Reads: 831
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,116
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 02:30 PM EST Reads: 816
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Dec. 18, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 865
Mobile commerce traffic is surpassing desktop, yet less than 20% of sales in the U.S. are mobile commerce sales. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Franklin, Segment Manager, Commerce, at Verizon Digital Media Services, defined mobile devices and discussed how next generation means simplification. It means taking your digital content and turning it into instantly gratifying experiences.
Dec. 18, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,011
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 884
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 18, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,110
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 1,792
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 1,838
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,238
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:15 AM EST Reads: 2,067
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,766
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,881
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,828
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 AM EST Reads: 1,718
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 18, 2014 09:30 AM EST Reads: 1,875
“We are a managed services company. We have taken the key aspects of the cloud and the purposed data center and merged the two together and launched the Purposed Cloud about 18–24 months ago," explained Chetan Patwardhan, CEO of Stratogent, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,171
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,205
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session a...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,263