|By Business Wire||
|June 11, 2014 10:02 AM EDT||
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev, http://fincapdev.com) has announced 10 finalist teams that will develop new mobile apps to help millions of Americans make smart financial choices and gain better access to financial services. The apps proposed by finalist teams address a variety of challenges, including making smart purchasing decisions, saving for the future, prioritizing bill payment, and fostering positive financial behavior in young adults.
Finalist teams will build their apps over the summer and into the fall, tapping a deep pool of FinCapDev-sourced technical resources (such as app development environments and software development kits); expert advisors from the technology, mobile, and financial services industries; and financial support. At the conclusion of the build phase, FinCapDev finalist teams will participate in the $100K Demo Day in the San Francisco Bay Area. There, they will demo their apps to a live audience and panel of expert judges in pursuit of the $50,000 grand prize. Additional prizes include two (2) $25,000 runner-up prizes, for a total prize purse of $100,000
“This ecosystem has grown significantly since we held the first FinCapDev $100K Demo Day—and continues to grow—dramatically,” said Timothy Flacke, Executive Director of the D2D Fund. “We have more partners on board, offering their expertise and technical resources. We have the continued support of our committed funders: the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. And most importantly, we have an active, engaged community of socially-minded finalists who will build great apps.”
“This year’s roster of FinCapDev finalist teams is impressive and diverse,” said Jennifer Tescher, President & CEO of Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI). “We are excited to have assembled such great technical and business resources for the finalists as they develop their apps into products that will help consumers improve their financial health.”
The Ten FinCapDev Finalist Teams:
- Alcanza (Mountain View, CA), led by Miri Hutcherson, Juntos Finanzas – Based on a bingo-like Mexican game, Alcanza targets the Latino population and works to lay the foundation of future financial security by reducing the cognitive demands of daily financial decision making and breaking down future goals into a set of achievable tasks.
- BeThrifty (New York, NY), led by Femi King – BeThrifty will facilitate bulk purchases by small groups, allowing individuals to buy staple goods at bulk discount prices, when bulk purchases might otherwise be out of reach.
- Climb (San Francisco, CA), led by Yoni Blumberg - Climb will help families build their financial capability by showing them which bills to prioritize when they don't have enough to pay them all.
- DoLoCo (New York, NY), led by Xin Wang – Leveraging insights from savings and lending circles, DoLoCo will formalize informal giving and fundraising to meet the financial needs of a community and reduce dependence on expensive sources of credit.
- MoneyThink Mobile (Chicago, IL), led by Jennifer Shoop, MoneyThink - Moneythink Mobile is an interactive social platform that will engage youth by challenging them to build financial awareness, skills, and habits.
- Planwise (San Francisco, CA), led by Vincent Turner - Planwise seeks to enable all users to easily understand both their current finances and the future impact of any financial decisions they make through a simple, visual interface.
- Rezzcard (Hayworth, NJ), led by Alex Cooper - Rezzcard will make the process of paying rent easier by pushing rent notifications, providing payment history, and allowing consumers to make payments directly through the app; it also provides access to a prepaid debit card.
- RichFund (San Francisco, CA), led by Brent Lamphier - RichFund is a mobile savings app that will get people excited about their future and motivated to make it a reality. The app will help users open retirement savings accounts and understand how much they need to save today to reach their future goals.
- Trackr (Oakland, CA), led by Trish Powell - Trackr is a mobile app for parents and children that will reward children for completing tasks while instilling sound financial values and mindful spending early in life.
- Union Capital (Boston, MA), led by Eric Leslie, Union Capital Boston - Union Capital is a loyalty program for low-income families that will reward users’ involvement in schools, businesses, health centers, and civic programs.
To learn more about each Finalist Team, visit http://fincapdev.com/2014finalists
The following partners will provide tools and expert resources to the finalist teams, including:
- Alpha Software, which enables developers to rapidly create and deploy robust and secure business applications for mobile devices and personal computers.
- Appsee, a mobile analytics platform that offers a unique visual analytics solution, enabling developers to measure, understand, and optimize the user experience in their apps.
- Arcweb, a product development consultancy that blends agile development and lean startup product management methodologies to build web and mobile applications for the enterprise, with a focus on financial services.
- CAMBA, a nonprofit agency that provides services that connect people with opportunities to enhance their quality of life.
- Charles Schwab, one of the world’s leading financial services firms, will provide access to expert advice.
- Cloud Castle, designs, builds, and operates high quality digital products for a wide selection of clients, from startups such as House Account and JoinU, to larger corporations such as News Corp and LendingTree.
- Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries have 57,000 professionals in the United States with a single focus: serving its clients and helping them solve their toughest problems. Deloitte works in four key business areas — audit, financial advisory, tax, and consulting.
- Intuit, creates business and financial management solutions that simplify the business of life for small businesses, consumers, and accounting professionals.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Technology for Social Good, which provides opportunities to share the technology talent and expertise of the firm with nonprofit and social good organizations.
- LevelUp, the largest open mobile payment network. Consumers use their LevelUp account to pay with their smart device or web browser and businesses accept transactions for just 1.95% flat, thus enabling dramatic cost savings they can pass along to customers. LevelUp is the largest open mobile payment network.
- MetLife Inc., a leading global provider of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs. Through its subsidiaries and affiliates, MetLife holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- NYPay, New York’s premier professional organization for payment industry leaders and innovators.
- PayNearMe, the electronic cash-transaction network that enables consumers to conveniently make payments on their own schedule and in their own neighborhood at one of more than 17,000 trusted locations including 7-Eleven, Family Dollar, and ACE Cash Express stores across the United States.
- Social Money, the creators of the goal-based savings app SmartyPig.com, offer CorePro, an API platform that enables alternative financial services companies to build FDIC-insured savings accounts into their apps, PFM tools and prepaid cards with its regulatory-compliant savings account core processing platform.
- Software Nation, which specializes in mobile, web, and game development for clients ranging from start-up to large enterprise.
- UserTesting lets you run on-demand remote usability tests and get actionable insights on your website or app on almost any desktop or mobile device at any stage of development.
- Yodlee Interactive’s Aggregation API is designed for developers who need permission-based access and bank-level security to access their customers’ bank, credit card, investment, and loan accounts. Yodlee is offering free 6-month licenses to winners of the FinCapDev Competition.
To learn more about the partner-provided resources, visit http://www.fincapdev.com/resources/. To follow the progress of FinCapDev Finalist Teams, visit the FinCapDev blog (http://fincapdev.com/blog) or follow on Twitter @FinCapDev.
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev) is a nationwide $100,000 challenge to develop new mobile apps to help underserved Americans make smart financial choices and get better access to financial services. It is a community of developers, technologists, financial service firms, venture capitalists, engineers, nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurs, businesspeople, students, advisors, marketers, designers, and more working together in ways otherwise unexpected in the pursuit of building new mobile apps that improve financial health of underserved Americans. FinCapDev is made possible through the generous support of the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. Learn more about FinCapDev at http://fincapdev.com.
About The Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund)
Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund) strengthens the financial opportunity and security of low and moderate-income consumers by innovating, incubating, and stimulating new financial products and policies. Operating at the intersection of the private, nonprofit, and public sectors, D2D incubates and promotes practical applications with social impact that might otherwise lack a champion to nurture and bring them to market. D2D was incorporated as a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization in 2000 and is headquartered in Allston neighborhood of Boston, across the street from Harvard University’s recently opened Innovation Lab. For more on D2D, go to www.d2dfund.org.
About the Center for Financial Services Innovation
The Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) is the nation’s authority on consumer financial health. CFSI leads a network of financial services innovators committed to building a more robust financial services marketplace with higher quality products and services. CFSI’s Innovation Labs is an ecosystem of social entrepreneurs, financial services institutions, technology firms, venture capitalists, investors, and others harnessing the potential of technology to improve the financial health of consumers. Through CFSI’s Compass Principles and a lineup of proprietary research, insights, and events, CFSI informs, advises, and connects members of its network to seed the innovation that will transform the financial services landscape. For more on CFSI, go to http://cfsinnovation.com and follow on Twitter @CFSInnovation.
For almost two decades, businesses have discovered great opportunities to engage with customers and even expand revenue through digital systems, including web and mobile applications. Yet, even now, the conversation between the business and the technologists that deliver these systems is strained, in large part due to misaligned objectives. In his session at DevOps Summit, James Urquhart, Senior Vice President of Performance Analytics at SOASTA, Inc., will discuss how measuring user outcomes –...
Oct. 10, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 489
As-a-service models offer huge opportunities, but also complicate security. It may seem that the easiest way to migrate to a new architectural model is to let others, experts in their field, do the work. This has given rise to many as-a-service models throughout the industry and across the entire technology stack, from software to infrastructure. While this has unlocked huge opportunities to accelerate the deployment of new capabilities or increase economic efficiencies within an organization, i...
Oct. 10, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 291
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, will explore the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends an...
Oct. 10, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 145
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Oct. 10, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 755
As the world moves towards more DevOps and microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Raghavan "Rags" Srinivas, an Architect/Developer Evangeli...
Oct. 10, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 211
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Oct. 10, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 269
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi's VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driv...
Oct. 10, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 164
Overgrown applications have given way to modular applications, driven by the need to break larger problems into smaller problems. Similarly large monolithic development processes have been forced to be broken into smaller agile development cycles. Looking at trends in software development, microservices architectures meet the same demands. Additional benefits of microservices architectures are compartmentalization and a limited impact of service failure versus a complete software malfunction....
Oct. 10, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 291
As a company adopts a DevOps approach to software development, what are key things that both the Dev and Ops side of the business must keep in mind to ensure effective continuous delivery? In his session at DevOps Summit, Mark Hydar, Head of DevOps, Ericsson TV Platforms, will share best practices and provide helpful tips for Ops teams to adopt an open line of communication with the development side of the house to ensure success between the two sides.
Oct. 10, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 643
The last decade was about virtual machines, but the next one is about containers. Containers enable a service to run on any host at any time. Traditional tools are starting to show cracks because they were not designed for this level of application portability. Now is the time to look at new ways to deploy and manage applications at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Brian “Redbeard” Harrington, a principal architect at CoreOS, will examine how CoreOS helps teams run in production. Attende...
Oct. 10, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,287
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/...
Oct. 10, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 336
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it has become the most popular among the new wave of applications running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Relations at Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity
Oct. 10, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 543
SYS-CON Events announced today that Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, will keynote at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 10, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 152
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Oct. 10, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 621
SYS-CON Events announced today that Machkey International Company will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Machkey provides advanced connectivity solutions for just about everyone. Businesses or individuals, Machkey is dedicated to provide high-quality and cost-effective products to meet all your needs.
Oct. 10, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 416
WebRTC converts the entire network into a ubiquitous communications cloud thereby connecting anytime, anywhere through any point. In his session at WebRTC Summit,, Mark Castleman, EIR at Bell Labs and Head of Future X Labs, will discuss how the transformational nature of communications is achieved through the democratizing force of WebRTC. WebRTC is doing for voice what HTML did for web content.
Oct. 10, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,448
As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ability. Many are unable to effectively engage and inspire, creating forward momentum in the direction of desired change. Renowned for its approach to leadership and emphasis on their people, organizations increasingly look to our military for insight into these challenges.
Oct. 10, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 238
The IoT is upon us, but today’s databases, built on 30-year-old math, require multiple platforms to create a single solution. Data demands of the IoT require Big Data systems that can handle ingest, transactions and analytics concurrently adapting to varied situations as they occur, with speed at scale. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chad Jones, chief strategy officer at Deep Information Sciences, will look differently at IoT data so enterprises can fully leverage their IoT potential. He’ll sha...
Oct. 10, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 653
The enterprise is being consumerized, and the consumer is being enterprised. Moore's Law does not matter anymore, the future belongs to business virtualization powered by invisible service architecture, powered by hyperscale and hyperconvergence, and facilitated by vertical streaming and horizontal scaling and consolidation. Both buyers and sellers want instant results, and from paperwork to paperless to mindless is the ultimate goal for any seamless transaction. The sweetest sweet spot in innov...
Oct. 10, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 256
SYS-CON Events announced today that Key Information Systems, Inc. (KeyInfo), a leading cloud and infrastructure provider offering integrated solutions to enterprises, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Key Information Systems is a leading regional systems integrator with world-class compute, storage and networking solutions and professional services for the most advanced softwa...
Oct. 10, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 447