|By Business Wire||
|June 11, 2014 10:02 AM EDT||
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev, http://fincapdev.com) has announced 10 finalist teams that will develop new mobile apps to help millions of Americans make smart financial choices and gain better access to financial services. The apps proposed by finalist teams address a variety of challenges, including making smart purchasing decisions, saving for the future, prioritizing bill payment, and fostering positive financial behavior in young adults.
Finalist teams will build their apps over the summer and into the fall, tapping a deep pool of FinCapDev-sourced technical resources (such as app development environments and software development kits); expert advisors from the technology, mobile, and financial services industries; and financial support. At the conclusion of the build phase, FinCapDev finalist teams will participate in the $100K Demo Day in the San Francisco Bay Area. There, they will demo their apps to a live audience and panel of expert judges in pursuit of the $50,000 grand prize. Additional prizes include two (2) $25,000 runner-up prizes, for a total prize purse of $100,000
“This ecosystem has grown significantly since we held the first FinCapDev $100K Demo Day—and continues to grow—dramatically,” said Timothy Flacke, Executive Director of the D2D Fund. “We have more partners on board, offering their expertise and technical resources. We have the continued support of our committed funders: the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. And most importantly, we have an active, engaged community of socially-minded finalists who will build great apps.”
“This year’s roster of FinCapDev finalist teams is impressive and diverse,” said Jennifer Tescher, President & CEO of Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI). “We are excited to have assembled such great technical and business resources for the finalists as they develop their apps into products that will help consumers improve their financial health.”
The Ten FinCapDev Finalist Teams:
- Alcanza (Mountain View, CA), led by Miri Hutcherson, Juntos Finanzas – Based on a bingo-like Mexican game, Alcanza targets the Latino population and works to lay the foundation of future financial security by reducing the cognitive demands of daily financial decision making and breaking down future goals into a set of achievable tasks.
- BeThrifty (New York, NY), led by Femi King – BeThrifty will facilitate bulk purchases by small groups, allowing individuals to buy staple goods at bulk discount prices, when bulk purchases might otherwise be out of reach.
- Climb (San Francisco, CA), led by Yoni Blumberg - Climb will help families build their financial capability by showing them which bills to prioritize when they don't have enough to pay them all.
- DoLoCo (New York, NY), led by Xin Wang – Leveraging insights from savings and lending circles, DoLoCo will formalize informal giving and fundraising to meet the financial needs of a community and reduce dependence on expensive sources of credit.
- MoneyThink Mobile (Chicago, IL), led by Jennifer Shoop, MoneyThink - Moneythink Mobile is an interactive social platform that will engage youth by challenging them to build financial awareness, skills, and habits.
- Planwise (San Francisco, CA), led by Vincent Turner - Planwise seeks to enable all users to easily understand both their current finances and the future impact of any financial decisions they make through a simple, visual interface.
- Rezzcard (Hayworth, NJ), led by Alex Cooper - Rezzcard will make the process of paying rent easier by pushing rent notifications, providing payment history, and allowing consumers to make payments directly through the app; it also provides access to a prepaid debit card.
- RichFund (San Francisco, CA), led by Brent Lamphier - RichFund is a mobile savings app that will get people excited about their future and motivated to make it a reality. The app will help users open retirement savings accounts and understand how much they need to save today to reach their future goals.
- Trackr (Oakland, CA), led by Trish Powell - Trackr is a mobile app for parents and children that will reward children for completing tasks while instilling sound financial values and mindful spending early in life.
- Union Capital (Boston, MA), led by Eric Leslie, Union Capital Boston - Union Capital is a loyalty program for low-income families that will reward users’ involvement in schools, businesses, health centers, and civic programs.
To learn more about each Finalist Team, visit http://fincapdev.com/2014finalists
The following partners will provide tools and expert resources to the finalist teams, including:
- Alpha Software, which enables developers to rapidly create and deploy robust and secure business applications for mobile devices and personal computers.
- Appsee, a mobile analytics platform that offers a unique visual analytics solution, enabling developers to measure, understand, and optimize the user experience in their apps.
- Arcweb, a product development consultancy that blends agile development and lean startup product management methodologies to build web and mobile applications for the enterprise, with a focus on financial services.
- CAMBA, a nonprofit agency that provides services that connect people with opportunities to enhance their quality of life.
- Charles Schwab, one of the world’s leading financial services firms, will provide access to expert advice.
- Cloud Castle, designs, builds, and operates high quality digital products for a wide selection of clients, from startups such as House Account and JoinU, to larger corporations such as News Corp and LendingTree.
- Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries have 57,000 professionals in the United States with a single focus: serving its clients and helping them solve their toughest problems. Deloitte works in four key business areas — audit, financial advisory, tax, and consulting.
- Intuit, creates business and financial management solutions that simplify the business of life for small businesses, consumers, and accounting professionals.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Technology for Social Good, which provides opportunities to share the technology talent and expertise of the firm with nonprofit and social good organizations.
- LevelUp, the largest open mobile payment network. Consumers use their LevelUp account to pay with their smart device or web browser and businesses accept transactions for just 1.95% flat, thus enabling dramatic cost savings they can pass along to customers. LevelUp is the largest open mobile payment network.
- MetLife Inc., a leading global provider of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs. Through its subsidiaries and affiliates, MetLife holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- NYPay, New York’s premier professional organization for payment industry leaders and innovators.
- PayNearMe, the electronic cash-transaction network that enables consumers to conveniently make payments on their own schedule and in their own neighborhood at one of more than 17,000 trusted locations including 7-Eleven, Family Dollar, and ACE Cash Express stores across the United States.
- Social Money, the creators of the goal-based savings app SmartyPig.com, offer CorePro, an API platform that enables alternative financial services companies to build FDIC-insured savings accounts into their apps, PFM tools and prepaid cards with its regulatory-compliant savings account core processing platform.
- Software Nation, which specializes in mobile, web, and game development for clients ranging from start-up to large enterprise.
- UserTesting lets you run on-demand remote usability tests and get actionable insights on your website or app on almost any desktop or mobile device at any stage of development.
- Yodlee Interactive’s Aggregation API is designed for developers who need permission-based access and bank-level security to access their customers’ bank, credit card, investment, and loan accounts. Yodlee is offering free 6-month licenses to winners of the FinCapDev Competition.
To learn more about the partner-provided resources, visit http://www.fincapdev.com/resources/. To follow the progress of FinCapDev Finalist Teams, visit the FinCapDev blog (http://fincapdev.com/blog) or follow on Twitter @FinCapDev.
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev) is a nationwide $100,000 challenge to develop new mobile apps to help underserved Americans make smart financial choices and get better access to financial services. It is a community of developers, technologists, financial service firms, venture capitalists, engineers, nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurs, businesspeople, students, advisors, marketers, designers, and more working together in ways otherwise unexpected in the pursuit of building new mobile apps that improve financial health of underserved Americans. FinCapDev is made possible through the generous support of the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. Learn more about FinCapDev at http://fincapdev.com.
About The Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund)
Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund) strengthens the financial opportunity and security of low and moderate-income consumers by innovating, incubating, and stimulating new financial products and policies. Operating at the intersection of the private, nonprofit, and public sectors, D2D incubates and promotes practical applications with social impact that might otherwise lack a champion to nurture and bring them to market. D2D was incorporated as a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization in 2000 and is headquartered in Allston neighborhood of Boston, across the street from Harvard University’s recently opened Innovation Lab. For more on D2D, go to www.d2dfund.org.
About the Center for Financial Services Innovation
The Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) is the nation’s authority on consumer financial health. CFSI leads a network of financial services innovators committed to building a more robust financial services marketplace with higher quality products and services. CFSI’s Innovation Labs is an ecosystem of social entrepreneurs, financial services institutions, technology firms, venture capitalists, investors, and others harnessing the potential of technology to improve the financial health of consumers. Through CFSI’s Compass Principles and a lineup of proprietary research, insights, and events, CFSI informs, advises, and connects members of its network to seed the innovation that will transform the financial services landscape. For more on CFSI, go to http://cfsinnovation.com and follow on Twitter @CFSInnovation.
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Aug. 1, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 655
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 1, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 479
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Aug. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 515
With SaaS use rampant across organizations, how can IT departments track company data and maintain security? More and more departments are commissioning their own solutions and bypassing IT. A cloud environment is amorphous and powerful, allowing you to set up solutions for all of your user needs: document sharing and collaboration, mobile access, e-mail, even industry-specific applications. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Shawn Mills, President and a founder of Green House Data, discussed h...
Aug. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 453
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Aug. 1, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 177
Container technology is sending shock waves through the world of cloud computing. Heralded as the 'next big thing,' containers provide software owners a consistent way to package their software and dependencies while infrastructure operators benefit from a standard way to deploy and run them. Containers present new challenges for tracking usage due to their dynamic nature. They can also be deployed to bare metal, virtual machines and various cloud platforms. How do software owners track the usag...
Aug. 1, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 216
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Aug. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 294
Chuck Piluso presented a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. Prior to Secure Infrastructure and Services, Mr. Piluso founded North American Telecommunication Corporation, a facilities-based Competitive Local Exchange Carrier licensed by the Public Service Commission in 10 states, serving as the company's chairman and president from 1997 to 2000. Between 1990 and 1997, Mr. Piluso served as chairman & founder of International Te...
Aug. 1, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 395
There are many considerations when moving applications from on-premise to cloud. It is critical to understand the benefits and also challenges of this migration. A successful migration will result in lower Total Cost of Ownership, yet offer the same or higher level of robustness. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Michael Meiner, an Engineering Director at Oracle, Corporation, analyzed a range of cloud offerings (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) and discussed the benefits/challenges of migrating to each offe...
Aug. 1, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 137
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobi...
Aug. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 310
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Aug. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,688
In their session at 17th Cloud Expo, Hal Schwartz, CEO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), and Chuck Paolillo, CTO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), provide a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. In his role as CEO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), Hal Schwartz provides leadership and direction for the company.
Jul. 31, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 148
[slides] A New Architecture for the Internet of Things By @JKirklan | @ThingsExpo @RedHatNews #IoT #M2M #InternetOfThings
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,411
Malicious agents are moving faster than the speed of business. Even more worrisome, most companies are relying on legacy approaches to security that are no longer capable of meeting current threats. In the modern cloud, threat diversity is rapidly expanding, necessitating more sophisticated security protocols than those used in the past or in desktop environments. Yet companies are falling for cloud security myths that were truths at one time but have evolved out of existence.
Jul. 30, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,814
Take the Long View with Digital Transformation By @IoT2040 | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #API #Microservices #InternetOfThings
Digital Transformation is the ultimate goal of cloud computing and related initiatives. The phrase is certainly not a precise one, and as subject to hand-waving and distortion as any high-falutin' terminology in the world of information technology. Yet it is an excellent choice of words to describe what enterprise IT—and by extension, organizations in general—should be working to achieve. Digital Transformation means: handling all the data types being found and created in the organizat...
Jul. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,102
[slides] Workloads and Public Cloud at @CloudExpo By @utollwi | @ProfitBricksUSA #DevOps #Containers #Microservices
Public Cloud IaaS started its life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in adop...
Jul. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,221
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,755
MuleSoft has announced the findings of its 2015 Connectivity Benchmark Report on the adoption and business impact of APIs. The findings suggest traditional businesses are quickly evolving into "composable enterprises" built out of hundreds of connected software services, applications and devices. Most are embracing the Internet of Things (IoT) and microservices technologies like Docker. A majority are integrating wearables, like smart watches, and more than half plan to generate revenue with ...
Jul. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 126
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 394
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, explained the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is rele...
Jul. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,409