|By Business Wire||
|June 11, 2014 10:02 AM EDT||
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev, http://fincapdev.com) has announced 10 finalist teams that will develop new mobile apps to help millions of Americans make smart financial choices and gain better access to financial services. The apps proposed by finalist teams address a variety of challenges, including making smart purchasing decisions, saving for the future, prioritizing bill payment, and fostering positive financial behavior in young adults.
Finalist teams will build their apps over the summer and into the fall, tapping a deep pool of FinCapDev-sourced technical resources (such as app development environments and software development kits); expert advisors from the technology, mobile, and financial services industries; and financial support. At the conclusion of the build phase, FinCapDev finalist teams will participate in the $100K Demo Day in the San Francisco Bay Area. There, they will demo their apps to a live audience and panel of expert judges in pursuit of the $50,000 grand prize. Additional prizes include two (2) $25,000 runner-up prizes, for a total prize purse of $100,000
“This ecosystem has grown significantly since we held the first FinCapDev $100K Demo Day—and continues to grow—dramatically,” said Timothy Flacke, Executive Director of the D2D Fund. “We have more partners on board, offering their expertise and technical resources. We have the continued support of our committed funders: the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. And most importantly, we have an active, engaged community of socially-minded finalists who will build great apps.”
“This year’s roster of FinCapDev finalist teams is impressive and diverse,” said Jennifer Tescher, President & CEO of Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI). “We are excited to have assembled such great technical and business resources for the finalists as they develop their apps into products that will help consumers improve their financial health.”
The Ten FinCapDev Finalist Teams:
- Alcanza (Mountain View, CA), led by Miri Hutcherson, Juntos Finanzas – Based on a bingo-like Mexican game, Alcanza targets the Latino population and works to lay the foundation of future financial security by reducing the cognitive demands of daily financial decision making and breaking down future goals into a set of achievable tasks.
- BeThrifty (New York, NY), led by Femi King – BeThrifty will facilitate bulk purchases by small groups, allowing individuals to buy staple goods at bulk discount prices, when bulk purchases might otherwise be out of reach.
- Climb (San Francisco, CA), led by Yoni Blumberg - Climb will help families build their financial capability by showing them which bills to prioritize when they don't have enough to pay them all.
- DoLoCo (New York, NY), led by Xin Wang – Leveraging insights from savings and lending circles, DoLoCo will formalize informal giving and fundraising to meet the financial needs of a community and reduce dependence on expensive sources of credit.
- MoneyThink Mobile (Chicago, IL), led by Jennifer Shoop, MoneyThink - Moneythink Mobile is an interactive social platform that will engage youth by challenging them to build financial awareness, skills, and habits.
- Planwise (San Francisco, CA), led by Vincent Turner - Planwise seeks to enable all users to easily understand both their current finances and the future impact of any financial decisions they make through a simple, visual interface.
- Rezzcard (Hayworth, NJ), led by Alex Cooper - Rezzcard will make the process of paying rent easier by pushing rent notifications, providing payment history, and allowing consumers to make payments directly through the app; it also provides access to a prepaid debit card.
- RichFund (San Francisco, CA), led by Brent Lamphier - RichFund is a mobile savings app that will get people excited about their future and motivated to make it a reality. The app will help users open retirement savings accounts and understand how much they need to save today to reach their future goals.
- Trackr (Oakland, CA), led by Trish Powell - Trackr is a mobile app for parents and children that will reward children for completing tasks while instilling sound financial values and mindful spending early in life.
- Union Capital (Boston, MA), led by Eric Leslie, Union Capital Boston - Union Capital is a loyalty program for low-income families that will reward users’ involvement in schools, businesses, health centers, and civic programs.
To learn more about each Finalist Team, visit http://fincapdev.com/2014finalists
The following partners will provide tools and expert resources to the finalist teams, including:
- Alpha Software, which enables developers to rapidly create and deploy robust and secure business applications for mobile devices and personal computers.
- Appsee, a mobile analytics platform that offers a unique visual analytics solution, enabling developers to measure, understand, and optimize the user experience in their apps.
- Arcweb, a product development consultancy that blends agile development and lean startup product management methodologies to build web and mobile applications for the enterprise, with a focus on financial services.
- CAMBA, a nonprofit agency that provides services that connect people with opportunities to enhance their quality of life.
- Charles Schwab, one of the world’s leading financial services firms, will provide access to expert advice.
- Cloud Castle, designs, builds, and operates high quality digital products for a wide selection of clients, from startups such as House Account and JoinU, to larger corporations such as News Corp and LendingTree.
- Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries have 57,000 professionals in the United States with a single focus: serving its clients and helping them solve their toughest problems. Deloitte works in four key business areas — audit, financial advisory, tax, and consulting.
- Intuit, creates business and financial management solutions that simplify the business of life for small businesses, consumers, and accounting professionals.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Technology for Social Good, which provides opportunities to share the technology talent and expertise of the firm with nonprofit and social good organizations.
- LevelUp, the largest open mobile payment network. Consumers use their LevelUp account to pay with their smart device or web browser and businesses accept transactions for just 1.95% flat, thus enabling dramatic cost savings they can pass along to customers. LevelUp is the largest open mobile payment network.
- MetLife Inc., a leading global provider of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs. Through its subsidiaries and affiliates, MetLife holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- NYPay, New York’s premier professional organization for payment industry leaders and innovators.
- PayNearMe, the electronic cash-transaction network that enables consumers to conveniently make payments on their own schedule and in their own neighborhood at one of more than 17,000 trusted locations including 7-Eleven, Family Dollar, and ACE Cash Express stores across the United States.
- Social Money, the creators of the goal-based savings app SmartyPig.com, offer CorePro, an API platform that enables alternative financial services companies to build FDIC-insured savings accounts into their apps, PFM tools and prepaid cards with its regulatory-compliant savings account core processing platform.
- Software Nation, which specializes in mobile, web, and game development for clients ranging from start-up to large enterprise.
- UserTesting lets you run on-demand remote usability tests and get actionable insights on your website or app on almost any desktop or mobile device at any stage of development.
- Yodlee Interactive’s Aggregation API is designed for developers who need permission-based access and bank-level security to access their customers’ bank, credit card, investment, and loan accounts. Yodlee is offering free 6-month licenses to winners of the FinCapDev Competition.
To learn more about the partner-provided resources, visit http://www.fincapdev.com/resources/. To follow the progress of FinCapDev Finalist Teams, visit the FinCapDev blog (http://fincapdev.com/blog) or follow on Twitter @FinCapDev.
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev) is a nationwide $100,000 challenge to develop new mobile apps to help underserved Americans make smart financial choices and get better access to financial services. It is a community of developers, technologists, financial service firms, venture capitalists, engineers, nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurs, businesspeople, students, advisors, marketers, designers, and more working together in ways otherwise unexpected in the pursuit of building new mobile apps that improve financial health of underserved Americans. FinCapDev is made possible through the generous support of the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. Learn more about FinCapDev at http://fincapdev.com.
About The Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund)
Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund) strengthens the financial opportunity and security of low and moderate-income consumers by innovating, incubating, and stimulating new financial products and policies. Operating at the intersection of the private, nonprofit, and public sectors, D2D incubates and promotes practical applications with social impact that might otherwise lack a champion to nurture and bring them to market. D2D was incorporated as a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization in 2000 and is headquartered in Allston neighborhood of Boston, across the street from Harvard University’s recently opened Innovation Lab. For more on D2D, go to www.d2dfund.org.
About the Center for Financial Services Innovation
The Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) is the nation’s authority on consumer financial health. CFSI leads a network of financial services innovators committed to building a more robust financial services marketplace with higher quality products and services. CFSI’s Innovation Labs is an ecosystem of social entrepreneurs, financial services institutions, technology firms, venture capitalists, investors, and others harnessing the potential of technology to improve the financial health of consumers. Through CFSI’s Compass Principles and a lineup of proprietary research, insights, and events, CFSI informs, advises, and connects members of its network to seed the innovation that will transform the financial services landscape. For more on CFSI, go to http://cfsinnovation.com and follow on Twitter @CFSInnovation.
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 698
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2016' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited t...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 593
[session] The Factory of the Future, Today By @Cisco | @ThingsExpo #IoT #BigData #DigitalTransformation
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 741
Unless your company can spend a lot of money on new technology, re-engineering your environment and hiring a comprehensive cybersecurity team, you will most likely move to the cloud or seek external service partnerships. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Darren Guccione, CEO of Keeper Security, revealed what you need to know when it comes to encryption in the cloud.
Jun. 30, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 550
Edge Hosting has announced a partnership with and the availability of CloudFlare, a web application firewall, CDN and DDoS mitigation service. “This partnership enhances Edge Hosting’s world class, perimeter layer, application (layer 7) defensive mechanism,” said Mark Houpt, Edge Hosting CISO. “The goal was to enable a new layer of customer controlled defense and compliance through the application of DDoS filters and mitigations, the web application firewall (WAF) feature and the added benefit ...
Jun. 30, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 745
[session] Redis Functions and Data Structures By @DaveNielsen | @CloudExpo #Cloud #Redis #Containers
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jun. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 444
"SpeedyCloud's specialty lies in providing cloud services - we provide IaaS for Internet and enterprises companies," explained Hao Yu, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,049
Your business relies on your applications and your employees to stay in business. Whether you develop apps or manage business critical apps that help fuel your business, what happens when users experience sluggish performance? You and all technical teams across the organization – application, network, operations, among others, as well as, those outside the organization, like ISPs and third-party providers – are called in to solve the problem.
Jun. 30, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,026
Creating replica copies to tolerate a certain number of failures is easy, but very expensive at cloud-scale. Conventional RAID has lower overhead, but it is limited in the number of failures it can tolerate. And the management is like herding cats (overseeing capacity, rebuilds, migrations, and degraded performance). Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing for the HGST Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, discusse...
Jun. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,180
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profession...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 516
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 439
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,033
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, a Developer Advocate with IBM Cloud Data Services, discussed...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,067
In the world of DevOps there are ‘known good practices’ – aka ‘patterns’ – and ‘known bad practices’ – aka ‘anti-patterns.' Many of these patterns and anti-patterns have been developed from real world experience, especially by the early adopters of DevOps theory; but many are more feasible in theory than in practice, especially for more recent entrants to the DevOps scene. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Chair Andi Mann, panelists discusse...
Jun. 30, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,032
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,286
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,370
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 749
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,530
What does it look like when you have access to cloud infrastructure and platform under the same roof? Let’s talk about the different layers of Technology as a Service: who cares, what runs where, and how does it all fit together. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Lead Technology Evangelist at SoftLayer, an IBM company, spoke about the picture being painted by IBM Cloud and how the tools being crafted can help fill the gaps in your IT infrastructure.
Jun. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,042
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 30, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 641