|By Business Wire||
|June 11, 2014 10:02 AM EDT||
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev, http://fincapdev.com) has announced 10 finalist teams that will develop new mobile apps to help millions of Americans make smart financial choices and gain better access to financial services. The apps proposed by finalist teams address a variety of challenges, including making smart purchasing decisions, saving for the future, prioritizing bill payment, and fostering positive financial behavior in young adults.
Finalist teams will build their apps over the summer and into the fall, tapping a deep pool of FinCapDev-sourced technical resources (such as app development environments and software development kits); expert advisors from the technology, mobile, and financial services industries; and financial support. At the conclusion of the build phase, FinCapDev finalist teams will participate in the $100K Demo Day in the San Francisco Bay Area. There, they will demo their apps to a live audience and panel of expert judges in pursuit of the $50,000 grand prize. Additional prizes include two (2) $25,000 runner-up prizes, for a total prize purse of $100,000
“This ecosystem has grown significantly since we held the first FinCapDev $100K Demo Day—and continues to grow—dramatically,” said Timothy Flacke, Executive Director of the D2D Fund. “We have more partners on board, offering their expertise and technical resources. We have the continued support of our committed funders: the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. And most importantly, we have an active, engaged community of socially-minded finalists who will build great apps.”
“This year’s roster of FinCapDev finalist teams is impressive and diverse,” said Jennifer Tescher, President & CEO of Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI). “We are excited to have assembled such great technical and business resources for the finalists as they develop their apps into products that will help consumers improve their financial health.”
The Ten FinCapDev Finalist Teams:
- Alcanza (Mountain View, CA), led by Miri Hutcherson, Juntos Finanzas – Based on a bingo-like Mexican game, Alcanza targets the Latino population and works to lay the foundation of future financial security by reducing the cognitive demands of daily financial decision making and breaking down future goals into a set of achievable tasks.
- BeThrifty (New York, NY), led by Femi King – BeThrifty will facilitate bulk purchases by small groups, allowing individuals to buy staple goods at bulk discount prices, when bulk purchases might otherwise be out of reach.
- Climb (San Francisco, CA), led by Yoni Blumberg - Climb will help families build their financial capability by showing them which bills to prioritize when they don't have enough to pay them all.
- DoLoCo (New York, NY), led by Xin Wang – Leveraging insights from savings and lending circles, DoLoCo will formalize informal giving and fundraising to meet the financial needs of a community and reduce dependence on expensive sources of credit.
- MoneyThink Mobile (Chicago, IL), led by Jennifer Shoop, MoneyThink - Moneythink Mobile is an interactive social platform that will engage youth by challenging them to build financial awareness, skills, and habits.
- Planwise (San Francisco, CA), led by Vincent Turner - Planwise seeks to enable all users to easily understand both their current finances and the future impact of any financial decisions they make through a simple, visual interface.
- Rezzcard (Hayworth, NJ), led by Alex Cooper - Rezzcard will make the process of paying rent easier by pushing rent notifications, providing payment history, and allowing consumers to make payments directly through the app; it also provides access to a prepaid debit card.
- RichFund (San Francisco, CA), led by Brent Lamphier - RichFund is a mobile savings app that will get people excited about their future and motivated to make it a reality. The app will help users open retirement savings accounts and understand how much they need to save today to reach their future goals.
- Trackr (Oakland, CA), led by Trish Powell - Trackr is a mobile app for parents and children that will reward children for completing tasks while instilling sound financial values and mindful spending early in life.
- Union Capital (Boston, MA), led by Eric Leslie, Union Capital Boston - Union Capital is a loyalty program for low-income families that will reward users’ involvement in schools, businesses, health centers, and civic programs.
To learn more about each Finalist Team, visit http://fincapdev.com/2014finalists
The following partners will provide tools and expert resources to the finalist teams, including:
- Alpha Software, which enables developers to rapidly create and deploy robust and secure business applications for mobile devices and personal computers.
- Appsee, a mobile analytics platform that offers a unique visual analytics solution, enabling developers to measure, understand, and optimize the user experience in their apps.
- Arcweb, a product development consultancy that blends agile development and lean startup product management methodologies to build web and mobile applications for the enterprise, with a focus on financial services.
- CAMBA, a nonprofit agency that provides services that connect people with opportunities to enhance their quality of life.
- Charles Schwab, one of the world’s leading financial services firms, will provide access to expert advice.
- Cloud Castle, designs, builds, and operates high quality digital products for a wide selection of clients, from startups such as House Account and JoinU, to larger corporations such as News Corp and LendingTree.
- Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries have 57,000 professionals in the United States with a single focus: serving its clients and helping them solve their toughest problems. Deloitte works in four key business areas — audit, financial advisory, tax, and consulting.
- Intuit, creates business and financial management solutions that simplify the business of life for small businesses, consumers, and accounting professionals.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Technology for Social Good, which provides opportunities to share the technology talent and expertise of the firm with nonprofit and social good organizations.
- LevelUp, the largest open mobile payment network. Consumers use their LevelUp account to pay with their smart device or web browser and businesses accept transactions for just 1.95% flat, thus enabling dramatic cost savings they can pass along to customers. LevelUp is the largest open mobile payment network.
- MetLife Inc., a leading global provider of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs. Through its subsidiaries and affiliates, MetLife holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- NYPay, New York’s premier professional organization for payment industry leaders and innovators.
- PayNearMe, the electronic cash-transaction network that enables consumers to conveniently make payments on their own schedule and in their own neighborhood at one of more than 17,000 trusted locations including 7-Eleven, Family Dollar, and ACE Cash Express stores across the United States.
- Social Money, the creators of the goal-based savings app SmartyPig.com, offer CorePro, an API platform that enables alternative financial services companies to build FDIC-insured savings accounts into their apps, PFM tools and prepaid cards with its regulatory-compliant savings account core processing platform.
- Software Nation, which specializes in mobile, web, and game development for clients ranging from start-up to large enterprise.
- UserTesting lets you run on-demand remote usability tests and get actionable insights on your website or app on almost any desktop or mobile device at any stage of development.
- Yodlee Interactive’s Aggregation API is designed for developers who need permission-based access and bank-level security to access their customers’ bank, credit card, investment, and loan accounts. Yodlee is offering free 6-month licenses to winners of the FinCapDev Competition.
To learn more about the partner-provided resources, visit http://www.fincapdev.com/resources/. To follow the progress of FinCapDev Finalist Teams, visit the FinCapDev blog (http://fincapdev.com/blog) or follow on Twitter @FinCapDev.
The Financial Capability Development Competition (FinCapDev) is a nationwide $100,000 challenge to develop new mobile apps to help underserved Americans make smart financial choices and get better access to financial services. It is a community of developers, technologists, financial service firms, venture capitalists, engineers, nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurs, businesspeople, students, advisors, marketers, designers, and more working together in ways otherwise unexpected in the pursuit of building new mobile apps that improve financial health of underserved Americans. FinCapDev is made possible through the generous support of the Citi Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the MetLife Foundation. Learn more about FinCapDev at http://fincapdev.com.
About The Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund)
Doorways to Dreams Fund (D2D Fund) strengthens the financial opportunity and security of low and moderate-income consumers by innovating, incubating, and stimulating new financial products and policies. Operating at the intersection of the private, nonprofit, and public sectors, D2D incubates and promotes practical applications with social impact that might otherwise lack a champion to nurture and bring them to market. D2D was incorporated as a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization in 2000 and is headquartered in Allston neighborhood of Boston, across the street from Harvard University’s recently opened Innovation Lab. For more on D2D, go to www.d2dfund.org.
About the Center for Financial Services Innovation
The Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) is the nation’s authority on consumer financial health. CFSI leads a network of financial services innovators committed to building a more robust financial services marketplace with higher quality products and services. CFSI’s Innovation Labs is an ecosystem of social entrepreneurs, financial services institutions, technology firms, venture capitalists, investors, and others harnessing the potential of technology to improve the financial health of consumers. Through CFSI’s Compass Principles and a lineup of proprietary research, insights, and events, CFSI informs, advises, and connects members of its network to seed the innovation that will transform the financial services landscape. For more on CFSI, go to http://cfsinnovation.com and follow on Twitter @CFSInnovation.
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
May. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,495
There is no question that the cloud is where businesses want to host data. Until recently hypervisor virtualization was the most widely used method in cloud computing. Recently virtual containers have been gaining in popularity, and for good reason. In the debate between virtual machines and containers, the latter have been seen as the new kid on the block – and like other emerging technology have had some initial shortcomings. However, the container space has evolved drastically since coming on...
May. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,209
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robin Raymond, Chief Architect...
May. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,625
The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential. The DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo – to be held June 3-5, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City – will expand the DevOps community, enable a wide...
May. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,834
The web app is Agile. The REST API is Agile. The testing and planning are Agile. But alas, Data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes which force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software orga...
May. 28, 2015 02:56 PM EDT
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to DevOps Summit 2015 as Conference Chair. The 4th International DevOps Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great team at ...
May. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,377
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
May. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,235
Container technology is sending shock waves through the world of cloud computing. Heralded as the 'next big thing,' containers provide software owners a consistent way to package their software and dependencies while infrastructure operators benefit from a standard way to deploy and run them. Containers present new challenges for tracking usage due to their dynamic nature. They can also be deployed to bare metal, virtual machines and various cloud platforms. How do software owners track the usag...
May. 28, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,107
CA Technologies has announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Rally Software Development Corp. for $19.50 per share, which equates to approximately $480 million, net of cash acquired. The transaction has been unanimously approved by both Boards of Directors, and is expected to close in the second quarter of CA’s fiscal 2016. Based in Boulder, CO, Rally has approximately 500 employees across four continents and FY 2015 sales of $88 million. “Software applications are changing the...
May. 28, 2015 01:04 PM EDT Reads: 544
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, a...
May. 28, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,626
Enterprises are fast realizing the importance of integrating SaaS/Cloud applications, API and on-premises data and processes, to unleash hidden value. This webinar explores how managers can use a Microservice-centric approach to aggressively tackle the unexpected new integration challenges posed by proliferation of cloud, mobile, social and big data projects. Industry analyst and SOA expert Jason Bloomberg will strip away the hype from microservices, and clearly identify their advantages and d...
May. 28, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,623
The OpenStack cloud operating system includes Trove, a database abstraction layer. Rather than applications connecting directly to a specific type of database, they connect to Trove, which in turn connects to one or more specific databases. One target database is Postgres Plus Cloud Database, which includes its own RESTful API. Trove was originally developed around MySQL, whose interfaces are significantly less complicated than those of the Postgres cloud database. In his session at 16th Cloud...
May. 28, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,033
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enter...
May. 28, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,932
What do a firewall and a fortress have in common? They are no longer strong enough to protect the valuables housed inside. Like the walls of an old fortress, the cracks in the firewall are allowing the bad guys to slip in - unannounced and unnoticed. By the time these thieves get in, the damage is already done and the network is already compromised. Intellectual property is easily slipped out the back door leaving no trace of forced entry. If we want to reign in on these cybercriminals, it's hig...
May. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,503
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
May. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,505
SYS-CON Events announced today that MetraTech, now part of Ericsson, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society- a world leader in communications infrastructure, software and services. Some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic runs through networks Ericsson has supplied, serving more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
May. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,343
Software Development Solution category in The 2015 American Business Awards, and will ultimately be a Gold, Silver, or Bronze Stevie® Award winner in the program. More than 3,300 nominations from organizations of all sizes and in virtually every industry were submitted this year for consideration. "We are honored to be recognized as a leader in the software development industry by the Stevie Awards judges," said Steve Brodie, CEO of Electric Cloud. "We introduced ElectricFlow and our Deploy app...
May. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,165
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption...
May. 28, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,062
In their general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Michael Piccininni, Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation, and Mike Dietze, Regional Director at Windstream Hosted Solutions, will review next generation cloud services, including the Windstream-EMC Tier Storage solutions, and discuss how to increase efficiencies, improve service delivery and enhance corporate cloud solution development. Speaker Bios Michael Piccininni is Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation. He has b...
May. 28, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,089
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not ...
May. 28, 2015 11:08 AM EDT Reads: 624