|By Andreas Grabner||
|April 21, 2014 08:19 AM EDT||
Are you developing or hosting PHP applications? Are you doing performance sanity checks along your delivery pipeline? No? Not Yet? Then start with a quick check. It only takes 15 minutes and it really pays off. As a developer you can improve your code, and as somebody responsible for your build pipeline you can automate these checks and enforce additional quality gates. And as a PHP Hosting company / group you will be able optimize your deployment and run more of these apps and sustain more load on the same infrastructure.
Just like Java, .NET, and Ruby type applications, the top performance bottlenecks are fairly easy to spot and fixing them improves end user performance and saves compute power for your servers.
Here is what we discovered when analyzing our own Moodle-based educational platform using the 15 Day Free Trial of dynaTrace:
- High PHP Compilation Time: Our App spends up to 66% of the time in compilation
- Bad database access patterns: Some of our web requests execute up to 592 SQL requests
- Inefficient PHP coding: Rendering HTML lists in result pages takes 5+ seconds
#1: PHP Compilation Time
In a standard PHP installation every web request processed by the PHP engine will be compiled. The compiled code will not be cached which means PHP needs to re-compile the same code when the next request comes in. In our system we saw compilation time spikes of up to 66% of the total execution time:
Many of our requests spend a lot of time in compiling complex PHP files. Optimizing these files will improve overall response time
It also pays off to analyze PHP Compilation Time long term. In our case we noticed that a new deployment let the Compilation Time Contribution jump to twice of what it was before. Having this insight allows you to review your code changes as well as think off using PHP Compilation Caching using PHP Accelerators.
Warning Signal for PHP Monitoring: A change in our deployment in combination with more traffic on April 3rd caused our PHP Compilation Time contribution to double
- Developers: Analyze compilation time of your PHP code to identify complex coding early on
- Testers: Watch out for PHP Compilation Time changes from build to build to identify regressions early on
- Operations: Use PHP Accelerators as part of your PHP deployment in order to speed up overall PHP performance
#2: Bad database access patterns
Bad database access patterns are a common theme in the blog posts we write, mainly focusing on Java and .NET Enterprise Apps. Check out DB Access Patterns Gone Wild or When It Really Is The DB To Blame.
PHP Applications face the same problems. Watch out for the N+1 Query Problem; executing the same SQL multiple times per request or requesting data with multiple SQLs instead of optimizing a single SELECT statement:
Instead of specifying a proper IN-Clause the same SQL is executed hundreds of times with different WHERE-Clause causing unnecessary DB Roundtrips
Executing the exact same SQL up to 95 times is a sign for caching the data instead of requesting it over and over again from the database
To spot these problematic access patterns in production simply monitor the number of database executions and compare them with the incoming transactions as well as total database time as shown in the following chart:
In a production environment you do not want to see many spikes in database execution count and time that don't correlate to incoming load. That would indicate a data-driven performance/architectural problem
- Developers: Analyze which statements get really executed by your code as well as any third-party libraries you use to access code
- Database Engineers: Watch out for SQL Executions from PHP and sit down with engineers to optimize their SQL queries in their code. Provide guidance on SQL coding or stored procedures instead of having them execute hundreds of SELECT queries
- Testers: When executing load tests watch out for any load-related DB access patterns. Which "static" data is queried all the time and might be better off by caching it in the application?
- Operations: Monitor spikes in # of SQL Executions and whether that relates to a data-driven problem such as a user using a very exotic search term that results in too many SQL queries
For tip #3, and for further insight, click here for the full article
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Agile PMO
- Zuora Caps Record Breaking Subscribed 2014 with the 63rd Release of the Award Winning Z-Business Platform
- Web Service Monitoring 101: Identifying Bad Deployments
- IoT: I Don't Care How Big It Is!
- Unified IT Monitoring Software
- How to Monitor Swift/iOS8 Applications for Crashes and Performance Issues
- How to Monitor the Web Performance of Your Competition
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- Storage Made Easy Brings Private Enterprise File Share and Sync for Amazon S3 to AWS GovCloud
- "Cloud Computing 2.0" -- I'm Serious
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- New Photo Sharing Service izitru Establishes Photoshop-Free Zone
- The Problem with Cloud SLAs
- Emulex and Compuware Team Up to Drastically Improve Data Centre Problem Identification and Resolution
- The Linux Foundation's Core Infrastructure Initiative Announces New Backers, First Projects to Receive Support and Advisory Board Members
- The Agile PMO
- How to Strategically Benefit from AANPM
- Web Service Monitoring 101: Identifying Bad Deployments
- Building a Drag-and-Drop Shopping Cart with AJAX
- What Is AJAX?
- Google Maps! AJAX-Style Web Development Using ASP.NET
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- How and Why AJAX, Not Java, Became the Favored Technology for Rich Internet Applications
- Flashback to January 2006: Exclusive SYS-CON.TV Interviews on "OpenAjax Alliance" Announcement
- "Real-World AJAX" One-Day Seminar Arrives in Silicon Valley
- AJAXWorld Conference & Expo to Take Place October 2-4, 2006, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, California
- AJAX Sponsor Webcasts Are Now Available at AJAXWorld Website
- AJAXWorld University Announces AJAX Developer Bootcamp
- i-Technology 2008 Predictions: Where's RIAs, AJAX, SOA and Virtualization Headed in 2008?
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudian is a Foster City, Calif.-based software company specializing in cloud storage. Cloudian HyperStore® is an S3-compatible cloud object storage platform that enables service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable hybrid cloud storage solutions. Cloudian actively partners with leading cloud computing environments including Amazon Web Services, Citrix Cloud Platform, Apache CloudStack, OpenStack and the vast ecosystem of S3 compatible tools and applications. Cloudian's customers include Vodafone, Nextel, NTT, Nifty, and LunaCloud. The company has additional offices in China and Japan.
Jul. 28, 2014 04:10 PM EDT Reads: 433
After a couple of false starts, cloud-based desktop solutions are picking up steam, driven by trends such as BYOD and pervasive high-speed connectivity. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Seth Bostock, CEO of IndependenceIT, cuts through the hype and the acronyms, and discusses the emergence of full-featured cloud workspaces that do for the desktop what cloud infrastructure did for the server. He’ll discuss VDI vs DaaS, implementation strategies and evaluation criteria.
Jul. 28, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,424
SYS-CON Events announced today that Esri has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Esri inspires and enables people to positively impact the future through a deeper, geographic understanding of the changing world around them. For more information, visit http://www.esri.com.
Jul. 28, 2014 08:53 AM EDT Reads: 653
Cloud computing started a technology revolution; now DevOps is driving that revolution forward. By enabling new approaches to service delivery, cloud and DevOps together are delivering even greater speed, agility, and efficiency. No wonder leading innovators are adopting DevOps and cloud together! In his session at DevOps Summit, Andi Mann, Vice President of Strategic Solutions at CA Technologies, will explore the synergies in these two approaches, with practical tips, techniques, research data, war stories, case studies, and recommendations.
Jul. 28, 2014 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,487
Cloud Computing is evolving into a Big Three of Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure. Cloud 360: Multi-Cloud Bootcamp, being held Nov 4–5, 2014, in conjunction with 15th Cloud Expo in Santa Clara, CA, delivers a real-world demonstration of how to deploy and configure a scalable and available web application on all three platforms. The Cloud 360 Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, an analyst with Gigaom Research, is the first bootcamp that introduces the core concepts of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) based on the workings of the Big Three platforms – Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine, and Azure VMs. Bootcamp attendees will get to see the big picture and also receive the knowledge needed to make the best cloud decisions for their business applications and entire enterprise IT organization.
Jul. 28, 2014 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,992
The Internet of Things promises to transform businesses (and lives), but navigating the business and technical path to success can be difficult to understand. In his session at 15th Internet of @ThingsExpo, Chad Jones, Vice President, Product Strategy of LogMeIn's Xively IoT Platform, will show you how to approach creating broadly successful connected customer solutions using real world business transformation studies including New England BioLabs and more.
Jul. 27, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,543
“Distrix fits into the overall cloud and IoT model around software-defined networking. There’s a broad category around software-defined networking that’s focused on data center, and we focus on the WAN,” explained Jay Friedman, President of Distrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the Internet of @ThingsExpo, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading IoT industry players in the world.
Jul. 27, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,585
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
Jul. 27, 2014 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,103
“The Internet of Things is a wave that has arrived and it’s growing really fast. The concern at Aria Systems is making sure that people understand the ramifications of their attempts to monetize whatever it is they build on the Internet of Things," explained C Brendan O’Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect at Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the Internet of @ThingsExpo, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading IoT industry players in the world.
Jul. 27, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,301
The Internet of Things is a natural complement to the cloud and related technologies such as Big Data, analytics, and mobility. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Joe Weinman will lay out four generic strategies – digital disciplines – to exploit emerging digital technologies for strategic advantage. Joe Weinman has held executive leadership positions at Bell Labs, AT&T, Hewlett-Packard, and Telx, in areas such as corporate strategy, business development, product management, operations, and R&D.
Jul. 21, 2014 11:17 AM EDT Reads: 1,952
SYS-CON Events announced today that DevOps.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's “DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo,” which will take place on June 10–12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. DevOps.com is where the world meets DevOps. It is the largest collection of original content relating to DevOps on the web today Featuring up-to-the-minute news, feature stories, blogs, bylined articles and more, DevOps.com is where the thought leaders of the DevOps movement make their ideas known.
Jul. 20, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,746
There are 182 billion emails sent every day, generating a lot of data about how recipients and ISPs respond. Many marketers take a more-is-better approach to stats, preferring to have the ability to slice and dice their email lists based numerous arbitrary stats. However, fundamentally what really matters is whether or not sending an email to a particular recipient will generate value. Data Scientists can design high-level insights such as engagement prediction models and content clusters that allow marketers to cut through the noise and design their campaigns around strong, predictive signals, rather than arbitrary statistics. SendGrid sends up to half a billion emails a day for customers such as Pinterest and GitHub. All this email adds up to more text than produced in the entire twitterverse. We track events like clicks, opens and deliveries to help improve deliverability for our customers – adding up to over 50 billion useful events every month. While SendGrid data covers only abo...
Jul. 20, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,421
SYS-CON Events announced today that the Web Host Industry Review has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Since 2000, The Web Host Industry Review has made a name for itself as the foremost authority of the Web hosting industry providing reliable, insightful and comprehensive news, reviews and resources to the hosting community. TheWHIR Blogs provides a community of expert industry perspectives. The Web Host Industry Review Magazine also offers a business-minded, issue-driven perspective of interest to executives and decision-makers. WHIR TV offers on demand web hosting video interviews and web hosting video features of the key persons and events of the web hosting industry. WHIR Events brings together like-minded hosting industry professionals and decision-makers in local communities. TheWHIR is an iNET Interactive property.
Jul. 20, 2014 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,928
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Jul. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,905
SYS-CON Events announced today that Verizon has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Verizon Enterprise Solutions creates global connections that generate growth, drive business innovation and move society forward. With industry-specific solutions and a full range of global wholesale offerings provided over the company's secure mobility, cloud, strategic networking and advanced communications platforms, Verizon Enterprise Solutions helps open new opportunities around the world for innovation, investment and business transformation. Visit verizonenterprise.com to learn more.
Jul. 18, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,915