|By Marketwired .||
|February 14, 2014 06:53 AM EST||
WINDSOR, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 02/14/14 -- A whole host of launch dates and new game details for upcoming Wii U and Nintendo 3DS titles were revealed today as part of the first Nintendo Direct broadcast in 2014.
This Nintendo Direct put a spotlight on a selection of upcoming titles for Wii U owners. From 30th May, start your engines when Mario Kart 8 brings the family-favourite franchise to Wii U - this time with Bowser's minions on board as drivers! Today's broadcast also delivered new footage of anticipated Wii U titles such as Bayonetta 2 by PlatinumGames, as well as the new game in development by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. Additional surprises on show were the announcement of NES Remix 2, bringing new retro challenges and a Luigi-themed spin on a cherished classic to Nintendo eShop, plus the reveal of Little Mac from the Punch Out!! series as a playable character in both Super Smash Bros for Wii U as well as its handheld sibling.
In addition to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, the Nintendo 3DS family of systems will continue to bolster its broad software line-up into 2014 with titles for all tastes and ages. Both Mario Golf: World Tour and Kirby: Triple Deluxe are set to tee off in May, while Yoshi is getting his own Nintendo 3DS XL Yoshi Special Edition(i) console to accompany the launch of Yoshi's New Island on 14th March. Over on Nintendo eShop, underwater warfare has arrived in the shape of Steel Diver: Sub Wars, now available as a free download, while a different type of battle will take place in Pokemon Link: Battle!, available as a downloadable title from 13th March.
With more details on Game Boy Advance titles launching from April on Wii U Virtual Console, as well as star appearances by Donkey Kong, Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright all part of today's broadcast, the year 2014 is set to offer a host of memorable gameplay experiences for owners of Nintendo systems. Today's Nintendo Direct can be viewed in its entirety at:
Highlights from today's Nintendo Direct broadcast included:
- Mario Kart 8: Put the pedal to the metal in gravity-defying courses on 30th May when Mario Kart 8 launches in stores and on Nintendo eShop for Wii U. This time around, take to the starting grid with Bowser's minions, with all available as playable characters for the first time ever. Will Iggy, Larry, Ludwig, Morton, Roy and Wendy pip Mario & Co to the podium?
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: With Super Smash Bros. launching in stores and on Nintendo eShop for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in 2014, prepare to don the gloves and go for the KO when Little Mac of Punch-Out!! fame is introduced as a new challenger.
- Bayonetta 2: A new trailer for Bayonetta 2 showcased the Umbran Climax, a single, powerful attack that allows Bayonetta to release all her accumulated magic power. Like in the original Bayonetta, the use of Witch Time will prove all-important in dodging enemy attacks at the last possible moment. Bayonetta 2 is coming to Wii U later this year.
- A new title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC.: New footage of the title currently in development showed a battle scene with the player entering a human-shaped robot to fight a giant beast out in the wild. More updates on the game will be announced in the future.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Swinging into stores and on Nintendo eShop for Wii U on 21st February, today's Nintendo Direct revealed a new extended trailer showcasing what lies in store in this latest KONG adventure.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U
- NES Remix 2: This second instalment of the mashup of classic Nintendo games features challenges from later NES games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Adventure and Metroid. Just like NES Remix, the sequel includes stages from the original games with new challenges, as well as modified stages that introduce new elements. The game is scheduled to launch on Nintendo eShop for Wii U on 25th April. Best of all, it includes a free bonus game:
- Super Luigi Bros.: This is a full game based on a challenge from NES Remix. It contains all the levels from the Super Mario Bros. original game, only now it stars Luigi and requires players to navigate familiar levels in an unheard-of way - by running to the left! The game even incorporates Luigi's signature high jump. It's a fun new spin on a classic game.
- Child of Light: This RPG from Ubisoft takes the perspective of Aurora, a young princess on a quest to retrieve three sources of light from the evil Queen. Expect vile monsters and legendary creatures in a world inspired by fairy tales when the game releases on Nintendo eShop for Wii U on 1st May.
- Game Boy Advance titles coming to Wii U Virtual Console: Including Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Game Boy Advance games are set to release on Wii U Virtual Console from April onwards. More titles will be released over time.
- Mario Golf: World Tour: In addition to previously announced multiplayer features, the game will also include the Castle Club, a single-player clubhouse hub that offers a variety of areas to help players hone their skills. The Castle Club includes golf courses, tournaments, training areas, shops, locker rooms and a cafe. A training area lets them focus on specific aspects of their game, such as putting. Players can customise their Mii characters using items sold at the shop, including clubs, golf balls and clothing. Different combinations of gear can affect a player's performance. Mario Golf: World Tour is scheduled to launch on 2nd May for Nintendo 3DS.
- Kirby: Triple Deluxe: In Kirby: Triple Deluxe, expect over 20 different types of copy abilities including the Beetle, Circus and Archer granting Kirby a wide range of moves. Hunt down Sun Stones in order to progress through the adventure, and collect 8-bit key chains hidden within levels or get them from other players. The game takes advantage of StreetPass functionality to deliver better items to players. Kirby: Triple Deluxe will launch on Nintendo 3DS on 16th May.
- Yoshi's New Island: Flutter-jumping its way to stores and Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 14th March, Yoshi's New Island will feature big eggs called Mega Eggdozers, as well as Metal Eggdozers that enable Yoshi to venture underwater. Using the gyro controls of the Nintendo 3DS console, maneuver a Submarine Yoshi or Jackhammer Yoshi, while transforming into a "Super Yoshi" lets you fly like a shooting star or run along walls and ceilings at will! Players who are having trouble completing a level might see the appearance of Flutter Wings, which let Yoshi fly through the air. In a final piece of Yoshi news, a Nintendo 3DS XL Yoshi Special Edition(i) will also release on 14th March, with the design incorporating the familiar green and white of Yoshi.
- Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Akihiro Hino from LEVEL-5 spoke about the game in advance of its launch in stores and on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 28th March. Fans looking to get a dose of puzzle-solving can try out a puzzle demo at the game's newly launched website, or go behind the scenes via a new Iwata Asks interview.
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Following on from the recent announcement by Capcom, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will be coming to Nintendo 3DS in Europe in early 2015. In addition to online play, the game will also allow players to hunt monsters in dynamic new ways.
- Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl: An upcoming Atlus title coming to Europe, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl will be released in stores and on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 2nd May, with a special demo of the game available on Nintendo eShop from 18th April.
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
- Pokemon Link: Battle!: In this new Pokemon action puzzle instalment, every known Pokemon - over 700 - are set to feature! Match Pokemon to clear them while battling against and collecting others, and create bonds with your Pokemon to make them inflict greater damage to your opponents in battle. Pokemon: Link Battle! will also offer 4-player co-op play, and releases on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 13th March.
- Steel Diver: Sub Wars: Available as of today on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS is the successor to the submarine action game, Steel Diver. A tactical first-person shooter, Steel Diver: Sub Wars challenges you to stay one step ahead of your enemies, including single-player missions, the ability to stage competitive 4-on-4 team battles, plus local and online multiplayer modes. Players can now download the game for free and enjoy two submarine types, the beginning of the single-player mission mode, plus the entire multiplayer mode. Upgrading to the paid Premium Version will open up the full single-player experience and a greater variety of submarines to commandeer.
- Nintendo Pocket Football Club: Exclusive to Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS and releasing on 17th April, Nintendo Pocket Football Club puts players at the helm of their very own football club, with decisions ranging from how to best train a squad to scouting new players. Help players progress and fulfill their potential with the help of training cards, and unlock special card combos to boost their stats even further. In addition, share players with friends to help strengthen each other's line-up, and keep an eye out for the game's website from launch to see how your team's performance fares against friends or other managers. A new Iwata Asks interview on Nintendo Pocket Football Club is now available.
- Weapon Shop de Omasse: The fourth and final title from what is known in Japan as the Guild01 series, Weapon Shop de Omasse tasks players with managing a weapon shop inside a classic RPG, with blacksmith Oyaji and apprentice Yuhan forging and renting out weapons to heroes, instead of going on the quests themselves. The heroes rely upon the quality of your weapons to defeat characters such as the Evil Lord - if the heroes fail, you won't get paid. Weapon Shop de Omasse releases on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 20th February.
- LEVEL-5 game sale: To celebrate the release of Weapon Shop de Omasse, from today until 23rd February (23:59 local time), the following previously released Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS titles from LEVEL-5 will be on sale, priced at GBP 2.69 - ATTACK OF THE FRIDAY MONSTERS! A TOKYO TALE; CRIMSON SHROUD; LIBERATION MAIDEN; AERO PORTER; THE STARSHIP DAMREY; BUGS vs. TANKS!
For further details:
Nintendo Direct website http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect
Nintendo Direct on Ustream http://www.ustream.tv/NintendoUK
Nintendo UK Online Store http://store.nintendo.co.uk/
Wii U (UK) on Facebook http://facebook.com/WiiU.co.uk
Nintendo 3DS (UK) on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo3DSUK
Nintendo UK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/NintendoUK
Nintendo of Europe on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendoeurope
Nintendo UK on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendouk
Iwata Asks hub http://www.iwataasks.co.uk
(i)Please note that the Yoshi's New Island software is not included.
(ii)Depending on the Wii U hardware pack you own and your use of it, an additional storage device may be required to download software from Nintendo eShop.
The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U and Wii home consoles, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo has sold more than 4.2 billion video games and more than 669 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL, as well as the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Super NES, Nintendo 64 and Nintendo GameCube systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of Europe, based in Grossostheim, Germany, was established in 1990 and serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in Europe.
For more information, please visit
"Avere Systems is a hybrid cloud solution provider. We have customers that want to use cloud storage and we have customers that want to take advantage of cloud compute," explained Rebecca Thompson, VP of Marketing at Avere Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,018
"We formed Formation several years ago to really address the need for bring complete modernization and software-defined storage to the more classic private cloud marketplace," stated Mark Lewis, Chairman and CEO of Formation Data Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,568
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Jul. 26, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,792
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 26, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,416
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
Jul. 26, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,886
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 26, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,082
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,529
Most organizations prioritize data security only after their data has already been compromised. Proactive prevention is important, but how can you accomplish that on a small budget? Learn how the cloud, combined with a defense and in-depth approach, creates efficiencies by transferring and assigning risk. Security requires a multi-defense approach, and an in-house team may only be able to cherry pick from the essential components. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Vlad Friedman, CEO/Founder o...
Jul. 26, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,901
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,241
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,836
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,074
"We view the cloud not really as a specific technology but as a way of doing business and that way of doing business is transforming the way software, infrastructure and services are being delivered to business," explained Matthew Rosen, CEO and Director at Fusion, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,543
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 26, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,350
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Jul. 26, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,201
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,318
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,696
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,484
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 26, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,540
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Jul. 26, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 665
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Jul. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,157