|By Klaus Enzenhofer||
|October 8, 2013 12:45 PM EDT||
In our last two articles, we discussed what we have learned from last year's holiday season as well as things that we can do in the preparation phase for this year's upcoming event. In this blog we show you those dashboards and data points you need throughout the holiday season to make it a success.
The top goal for eCommerce sites is to ensure high conversion rates as this converts into business. IT's responsibility is to ensure that consumers can use the eCommerce site in an "enjoyable" way. But there is much more than measuring the UpTime or Response Time of your services. The dashboards shown are taken from other eCommerce sites used to monitor the health of their application, infrastructure as well as end user satisfaction and conversion rate.
#1: Infrastructure and Application Health
Dashboards need to show the system health impact on applications, services and processes. If no systems are impacted it has less priority to deal with high CPU, Memory, ...
Applications ultimately run on an IT Infrastructure; whether these machines are "physical", virtualized, or running in the cloud. Ensuring a healthy infrastructure is the key requirement for IT. But it is more important to know whether there is an immediate impact on the hosted applications, services and processes. Before upgrading any hardware, reconfiguring your routing tables, or bouncing your application, it is important to understand whether it actually impacts the application and the end user. Just because you run on 95% of CPU doesn't mean it's a problem - maybe your developers just built a perfect system that consumes all resources available in an optimum manner.
You need a dashboard that alerts on system monitoring issues but also take into account the applications, services, and processes running on them. Are these impacted by the resource shortage or not? That answer dictates your action if you know what is actually impacted.
#2: Application Performance
What are they key performance indicators per application? Are end users impacted by bad response times or failures? Is it the App or the underlying infrastructure?
The second dashboard you need focuses on the application, its performance, and impact on the end user. It answers the following critical questions:
- How much traffic is currently on the page? Is it still climbing? Is it outside the norm?
- Do we have an unusual high failure rate, e.g., failed credit card transactions, abandoned carts?
- What is the overall response time and is it violating my baseline?
- Is the application impacted by unhealthy app or web servers, e.g., high GC
- Are the hosts (physical, virtual or in the cloud) running into CPU, Memory or I/O limits?
- Are end users currently impacted when accessing the app? Are they leaving because of bad user experience?
- What is the current conversion rate or are we making money?
#3: Regional Availability and User Experience
How is user experience in our target markets? Any regional availability or performance problems?
The first two dashboards in this blog analyzed performance from within our datacenter. The dashboards above and below now focus on performance perceived from the outside - meaning - from the real end user perspective. You need to know if your app is not reachable from a specific region or when conversion rate drops even though your servers are doing fine. These two dashboards answer the following important questions for you:
- Is my site reachable from my key regional markets?
- If I am not reachable: How long did the outage last and did it impact Users?
- How many users do we have per region and what was their User Experience?
- How does the traffic per region develop over time?
- How is our conversion rate over time and how many orders do we actually get in?
How is conversion rate and number of orders evolving over time? If we have a drop in conversions - is it related to a regional problem or is it related to general system health issues in our data center?
#4: Real User Experience on the Conversion Funnel
Learning how users move through the conversion funnel, where they drop off and how response time and end user experience (APDEX) impacts the conversion funnel
You need a dedicated dashboard for all important actions along your conversion funnel. That includes landing pages and actions such as search, product details, add to cart and checkout. The dashboard helps you to understand:
- How many users you have on each conversion funnel step?
- Do they encounter problems during a particular action and is that the reason for a drop?
- How fast is each step and does it have an impact on end user experience?
#5: Third Party Monitoring dashboard
How fast is static content delivered by Akamai & Co? Are there spikes or outages that impact my end users?
Most eCommerce sites rely on third-party content which not only impacts the feature set of the site but also performance and with that end user experience. Third Party Monitoring requires a view from two different angles: The third parties that are directly included into your website or mobile app and the external services you call from your backend.
These are the questions your Third Party Monitoring dashboard has to answer:
- Are the resources delivered via CDN fast or do we have regional problems?
- Is the integrated social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Xing...) slow?
- Are the backend services facing bad requests to the integrate third parties?
- Is the performance of the third party good?
How fast and reliable are third party services such as facebook or Google API? Does it impact the failure rate of my application?
#6: Desktop Web vs. Mobile Web vs. Mobile App dashboard
Get to know your users: what devices to they use and does that impact user experience?
Your potential customers can use desktops, tablets or smart phones to access your site. They will either have fast WiFi or slow dial-up speed. All of this impacts user experience. In order to analyze performance and optimize your site for these types of browsers, devices and connection speed you need a dashboard that tells you:
- How many users are accessing my portal via Mobile App or Mobile Browser?
- What are the top browsers used? Do we need specific optimized pages for older browsers?
- Do we need to optimize for lower bandwidths, e.g: use better image compression?
- Is there a difference between the Key Performance Indicators (KPI) depending on the different types of devices, browsers, mobile native vs. mobile web?
When disaster strikes: Collaborate with R&D
It is likely that you have smaller hiccups throughout the holiday season. To avoid lengthy and painful war room situations it is important to level-up your monitoring system and provide data your engineering team needs to speed up error resolution. Here is a list of capabilities that will speed up triage and error resolution:
- Capture all actions of each visitor
- Provide method level visibility on the server side including context information such as method arguments and return values
- Provide the ability for memory heap dumps and access to all requested application performance metrics, e.g: connection pool, thread count, heap sizes, ...
- Use tools to capture this data that developers already use and that also allow sharing data from different environments.
This level of detail is what developers need to understand what exactly went wrong instead of digging through giga bytes of log files
Crash information from mobile native apps by mobile device and version makes it easy to fix specific problems
Having these types of dashboards make it easy to monitor the success of the holiday season and also easy to react on problems and prevent larger damage by executing the right actions. Make sure you do not waste your time with problems that are not real, e.g., an individual user complains or trying to find a problem related to a regional outage of an ISP. Focus on those problems that impact a large number of users and that you can fix. This will make sure you keep conversion rate high and business flowing.
For further reading check out our other recent blogs such as DevOps Survival Guide: 2013 Online Holiday Shopping Season and With Confidence into the Holiday Season: Verifying Readiness in Test / Pre-Production
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- IoT: I Don't Care How Big It Is!
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- How to Monitor Swift/iOS8 Applications for Crashes and Performance Issues
- Flexera Software Increases Commitment to Europe with Germany-based Datacenter to Host FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud for European Customers
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Android and the Open Automotive Alliance Shift into the Next Gear
- More on OnLive: New Cloud Solution Delivers Secure Cross-Platform Deployment for Graphics Intensive Applications
- How to Monitor the Web Performance of Your Competition
- Conquering the Top Five Enterprise Data Protection Challenges
- "Cloud Computing 2.0" -- I'm Serious
- Connected Globe News Weekly – Week of June 29, 2014
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Linux Foundation's Core Infrastructure Initiative Announces New Backers, First Projects to Receive Support and Advisory Board Members
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- The Agile PMO
- IoT: I Don't Care How Big It Is!
- Zuora Caps Record Breaking Subscribed 2014 with the 63rd Release of the Award Winning Z-Business Platform
- How to Strategically Benefit from AANPM
- Web Service Monitoring 101: Identifying Bad Deployments
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- Building a Drag-and-Drop Shopping Cart with AJAX
- What Is AJAX?
- Google Maps! AJAX-Style Web Development Using ASP.NET
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- How and Why AJAX, Not Java, Became the Favored Technology for Rich Internet Applications
- Flashback to January 2006: Exclusive SYS-CON.TV Interviews on "OpenAjax Alliance" Announcement
- "Real-World AJAX" One-Day Seminar Arrives in Silicon Valley
- AJAXWorld Conference & Expo to Take Place October 2-4, 2006, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, California
- AJAX Sponsor Webcasts Are Now Available at AJAXWorld Website
- AJAXWorld University Announces AJAX Developer Bootcamp
- i-Technology 2008 Predictions: Where's RIAs, AJAX, SOA and Virtualization Headed in 2008?
Until recently, many organizations required specialized departments to perform mapping and geospatial analysis, and they used Esri on-premise solutions for that work. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dave Peters, author of the Esri Press book Building a GIS, System Architecture Design Strategies for Managers, will discuss how Esri has successfully included the cloud as a fully integrated SaaS expansion of the ArcGIS mapping platform. Organizations that have incorporated Esri cloud-based applications and content within their business models are reaping huge benefits by directly leveraging cloud-based mapping and analysis capabilities within their existing enterprise investments. The ArcGIS mapping platform includes cloud-based content management and information resources to more widely, efficiently, and affordably deliver real-time actionable information and analysis capabilities to your organization.
Aug. 19, 2014 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 868
In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Mark Hinkle, Senior Director, Open Source Solutions at Citrix Systems Inc., will provide overview of the open source software that can be used to deploy and manage a cloud computing environment. He will include information on storage, networking(e.g., OpenDaylight) and compute virtualization (Xen, KVM, LXC) and the orchestration(Apache CloudStack, OpenStack) of the three to build their own cloud services. Speaker Bio: Mark Hinkle is the Senior Director, Open Source Solutions, at Citrix Systems Inc. He joined Citrix as a result of their July 2011 acquisition of Cloud.com where he was their Vice President of Community. He is currently responsible for Citrix open source efforts around the open source cloud computing platform, Apache CloudStack and the Xen Hypervisor. Previously he was the VP of Community at Zenoss Inc., a producer of the open source application, server, and network management software, where he grew the Zenoss Core project to over 10...
Aug. 17, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,854
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mac Devine, Distinguished Engineer at IBM, will discuss bringing these three elements together via Systems of Discover.
Aug. 17, 2014 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,010
As more applications and services move "to the cloud" (public or on-premise) cloud environments are increasingly adopting and building out traditional enterprise features. This in turn is enabling and encouraging cloud adoption from enterprise users. In many ways the definition is blurring as features like continuous operation, geo-distribution or on-demand capacity become the norm. NuoDB is involved in both building enterprise software and using enterprise cloud capabilities. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Seth Proctor, CTO at NuoDB, Inc., will discuss the experiences from building, deploying and using enterprise services and suggest some ways to approach moving enterprise applications into a cloud model.
Aug. 16, 2014 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,916
Cloud and Big Data present unique dilemmas: embracing the benefits of these new technologies while maintaining the security of your organization’s assets. When an outside party owns, controls and manages your infrastructure and computational resources, how can you be assured that sensitive data remains private and secure? How do you best protect data in mixed use cloud and big data infrastructure sets? Can you still satisfy the full range of reporting, compliance and regulatory requirements? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Derek Tumulak, Vice President of Product Management at Vormetric, will discuss how to address data security in cloud and Big Data environments so that your organization isn’t next week’s data breach headline.
Aug. 16, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,546
The cloud is everywhere and growing, and with it SaaS has become an accepted means for software delivery. SaaS is more than just a technology, it is a thriving business model estimated to be worth around $53 billion dollars by 2015, according to IDC. The question is – how do you build and scale a profitable SaaS business model? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jason Cumberland, Vice President, SaaS Solutions at Dimension Data, will give the audience an understanding of common mistakes businesses make when transitioning to SaaS; how to avoid them; and how to build a profitable and scalable SaaS business.
Aug. 16, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,220
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridstore delivers vmOptimized™ Storage that self-optimizes to each application or VM across both virtual and physical environments. Leveraging a grid architecture, Gridstore delivers the first end-to-end storage QoS to ensure the most important App or VM performance is never compromised. The storage grid, that uses Gridstore’s performance optimized nodes or capacity optimized nodes, starts with as few a...
Aug. 15, 2014 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,470
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia, the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between personal and professional social, mobile and cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dramatically improve productivity, reduce collaboration costs, and increase the overall enterprise value by bringing collaboration and infrastructure solutions to the cloud.
Aug. 15, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,474
Cloud computing started a technology revolution; now DevOps is driving that revolution forward. By enabling new approaches to service delivery, cloud and DevOps together are delivering even greater speed, agility, and efficiency. No wonder leading innovators are adopting DevOps and cloud together! In his session at DevOps Summit, Andi Mann, Vice President of Strategic Solutions at CA Technologies, will explore the synergies in these two approaches, with practical tips, techniques, research data, war stories, case studies, and recommendations.
Aug. 13, 2014 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,402
Enterprises require the performance, agility and on-demand access of the public cloud, and the management, security and compatibility of the private cloud. The solution? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Simone Brunozzi, VP and Chief Technologist(global role) for VMware, will explore how to unlock the power of the hybrid cloud and the steps to get there. He'll discuss the challenges that conventional approaches to both public and private cloud computing, and outline the tough decisions that must be made to accelerate the journey to the hybrid cloud. As part of the transition, an Infrastructure-as-a-Service model will enable enterprise IT to build services beyond their data center while owning what gets moved, when to move it, and for how long. IT can then move forward on what matters most to the organization that it supports – availability, agility and efficiency.
Aug. 12, 2014 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,620
Every healthy ecosystem is diverse. This is especially true in cloud ecosystems, where portability and interoperability are more important than old enterprise models of proprietary ownership. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Mark Baker, Server Product Manager at Canonical/Ubuntu, will discuss how single vendors used to take the lead in creating and delivering technology, but in a cloud economy, where users want tools of their preference, when and where they need them, it makes no sense.
Aug. 11, 2014 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,498
The 15th International Cloud Expo has just expanded its conference program, to bring together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC at one location. Cloud Expo is the single show where delegates and technology vendors can meet to experience and discuss the entire world of the cloud. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to learn about the latest technology developments and solutions.
Aug. 11, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,258
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare Corporation, a leading enabler of smart connected systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Bsquare is a global leader of embedded software solutions. We enable smart connected systems at the device level and beyond that millions use every day and provide actionable data solutions for the growing Internet of Things (IoT) market. We empower our world-class customers with our products, services and solutions to achieve innovation and success.
Aug. 11, 2014 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,893
SYS-CON Events announced today that NuoDB, Inc., the leader in webscale distributed database technology, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. NuoDB was launched in 2010 by industry-renowned database architect Jim Starkey and accomplished software CEO Barry Morris to deliver a webscale distributed database management system that is specifically designed for the cloud and the modern datacenter.
Aug. 10, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,326
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudian is a Foster City, Calif.-based software company specializing in cloud storage. Cloudian HyperStore® is an S3-compatible cloud object storage platform that enables service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable hybrid cloud storage solutions. Cloudian actively partners with leading cloud computing environments including Amazon Web Services, Citrix Cloud Platform, Apache CloudStack, OpenStack and the vast ecosystem of S3 compatible tools and applications. Cloudian's customers include Vodafone, Nextel, NTT, Nifty, and LunaCloud. The company has additional offices in China and Japan.
Aug. 10, 2014 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,093