|By Marketwired .||
|February 26, 2013 11:01 AM EST||
LONDON -- (Marketwire) -- 02/26/13 -- Atlantis Computing, the award-winning leader in data centre storage optimisation solutions, today released Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI 4.0. The new release is the first solution that enables Citrix XenDesktop and VMware View customers to run persistent virtual desktops In-Memory using RAM as primary storage, making persistent virtual desktops cheaper and faster than physical PCs. The solution delivers a better-than-PC user experience at an infrastructure cost that is less than $300 per desktop, while at the same time fully automating the deployment for thousands of users.
Today Atlantis Computing also announced it tripled its customer base and sold more than a quarter of a million licenses to date: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=990244
Most IT organisations would prefer to deploy persistent virtual desktops because that deployment model is the least disruptive to an IT organisation. It uses the same desktop images already deployed on PCs, as well as the existing tools and processes already in place and perfected over the last several years to maintain and upgrade those images. However, without Atlantis ILIO, persistent desktops require so much storage to achieve the same level of performance as a PC that most organisations cannot afford to deploy them. The cost of storage typically drives up the combined CAPEX and OPEX cost of the infrastructure (server, storage and network) to $1,000-$2,000 per desktop in order to deliver equal-to-PC performance.
According to Gartner, "storage is the No. 1 challenge most IT organisations face when considering virtual desktop (server-hosted virtual desktop or virtual desktop infrastructure) projects. Persistent storage is the easiest solution to deploy, but can result in significantly higher back-end storage costs because every user is assigned a dedicated virtual desktop image."(1) Moreover, "with an average cost per virtual desktop of over $1,000, the typical cost of storage is $400 to $600 per desktop. I/O acceleration software can support diskless, DAS or other storage configurations and has been proven at scale above 10,000 virtual desktops."(2)
"We have an existing persistent VDI user base that we plan to keep growing because desktop management is simple and the user experience is similar to a PC," said Christopher Green, Vice President, IT Infrastructure Systems, Washington Trust Bank. "We have been using Atlantis ILIO software since 2011 to optimise storage performance for our VDI environment, which has improved desktop performance and the efficiency of our SAN storage. With the new Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI 4.0, the entire virtual desktop runs in server RAM, making it much faster than a physical PC."
Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI 4.0 is the first In-Memory VDI storage solution that enables organisations to deliver persistent virtual desktops that run completely using server RAM as storage. Atlantis ILIO In-Memory storage technology delivers the performance of local server RAM, while at the same time maintaining a real-time optimised backup using a small amount of shared SAN/NAS storage to ensure data protection and availability. Atlantis ILIO Center provides a push-button, fully automated deployment to operationalise multiple racks of servers for thousands of users in hours, addressing many of the deployment risks of desktop virtualisation.
To see a demonstration of the desktop user experience with Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI 4.0, visit: http://www.atlantiscomputing.com/persistent_user_experience_video
"The downside with VDI is that it has been expensive, complicated and prone to failure because of the cost and complexity of delivering sufficient storage IOPS to the desktop with traditional SAN or NAS," said Mark Bowker, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group. "The Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI approach of using local server RAM as storage provides a significant boost in IOPS per desktop and removes the complexities associated with traditional storage and network infrastructure."
"After we delivered Atlantis ILIO Diskless VDI and won the Best of VMworld US and EMEA, as well as the Best of Citrix Synergy awards in 2012, our customers fell in love with the user experience, simplicity and deployment automation of that solution and asked for a similar product for persistent deployments," said Bernard Harguindeguy, CEO, Atlantis Computing. "With this release, we have rounded out our product offering to deliver all desktop virtualisation models using our In-Memory solution to boost performance, simplify architectures and automate persistent VDI, stateless VDI and virtualised Citrix XenApp deployments."
Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI 4.0 Features
- In-Memory VDI - Unlike traditional storage, ILIO In-Memory storage decouples desktop performance from the traditional limitations of disk-based storage by running all sessions directly on server RAM -- as primary storage -- to provide unparalleled desktop performance including 12 second boot time, near-instant application launches and desktop search results that appear immediately. In addition, because all desktops run on RAM, the amount of storage traffic sent on the network is drastically reduced, addressing one of VDI's key deployment risks.
- Atlantis ILIO Fast Replication technology maintains a real-time optimised backup on shared SAN/NAS storage to preserve the state of all persistent virtual desktops to deliver data protection and recovery.
- Automated Deployment - Atlantis ILIO Center, the management system for Atlantis ILIO software, provides push-button automated installation, configuration, sizing and datastore creation for thousands of virtual desktops across multiple racks of servers. Atlantis ILIO virtual machines are automatically created and registered as NFS data stores that are ready to use by Citrix XenDesktop or VMware View provisioning tools, or by Atlantis ILIO Fast Clone, to complete the desktop provisioning process.
- Atlantis ILIO Fast Clone - Atlantis ILIO Fast Clone can create new full clones of persistent virtual desktops in as little as 5 seconds per desktop. Unlike other storage cloning, Atlantis ILIO Fast Clone creates new virtual desktops without generating storage traffic.
Atlantis ILIO Technology
Atlantis ILIO software uses patent-pending context-aware storage optimisation technologies including:
- Analysing & Processing of Storage IO Traffic - Atlantis ILIO performs context-aware processing of IO operations in real-time at the NTFS file system and block levels to significantly reduce the amount of traffic sent to storage.
- Inline Deduplication - Atlantis ILIO performs "on the wire" inline deduplication in real-time, eliminating up to 95% of the blocks before reaching storage.
- Compression - Atlantis ILIO compresses the optimised blocks before writing them to memory.
- Coalescing (IO Blender Fix) - Atlantis ILIO converts all small random blocks generated by the Windows operating systems and hypervisor -- often referred to as the IO blender affect -- into larger sequential blocks, greatly improving efficiency.
About Atlantis Computing
Atlantis Computing, winner of "Best of VMworld" and "Best of Citrix Synergy" awards, addresses the challenges of storage-intensive virtualised and cloud applications: performance, cost and the ability to scale-out on demand. Atlantis ILIO complements existing virtualisation solutions from Citrix, Microsoft and VMware and enables the most efficient use of data centre storage by any virtual machine, fully automates deployments and lowers implementation risks. Atlantis Computing is privately held and funded by Cisco Systems, El Dorado Ventures and Partech International with headquarters in Mountain View, California and offices in Europe. For more information, visit: www.atlantiscomputing.com.
Atlantis Computing, Atlantis ILIO and Atlantis ILIO Diskless VDI, In-Memory VDI, Atlantis ILIO for XenApp, Atlantis ILIO FlexCloud and Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI are trademarks of Atlantis Computing, Inc. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
(1) Gartner "Storage Design Alternatives for Virtual Desktop Deployments" report published 30 January 2013
(2) Gartner "How to Implement Storage for Virtual Desktop Deployments" report published 14 January 2013
Media and Analyst Contact:
Follow Atlantis Computing on Twitter: @AtlantisILIO
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Agile PMO
- The Linux Foundation's Core Infrastructure Initiative Announces New Backers, First Projects to Receive Support and Advisory Board Members
- How to Strategically Benefit from AANPM
- Zuora Caps Record Breaking Subscribed 2014 with the 63rd Release of the Award Winning Z-Business Platform
- Web Service Monitoring 101: Identifying Bad Deployments
- How to Monitor Swift/iOS8 Applications for Crashes and Performance Issues
- How to Monitor the Web Performance of Your Competition
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- "Cloud Computing 2.0" -- I'm Serious
- Storage Made Easy Brings Private Enterprise File Share and Sync for Amazon S3 to AWS GovCloud
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Adobe Releases Update to Patch Zero Day Vulnerability
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- As Registration Deadline Nears, dmexco 2014 Is More Popular Than Ever
- Software Quality Metrics for Your Continuous Delivery Pipeline | Part 2
- Atmel Extends Industry Leading maXTouch T Series with the Market's Highest Performance Touchscreen Controller
- The Problem with Cloud SLAs
- New Photo Sharing Service izitru Establishes Photoshop-Free Zone
- Emulex and Compuware Team Up to Drastically Improve Data Centre Problem Identification and Resolution
- The Agile PMO
- Building a Drag-and-Drop Shopping Cart with AJAX
- What Is AJAX?
- Google Maps! AJAX-Style Web Development Using ASP.NET
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- How and Why AJAX, Not Java, Became the Favored Technology for Rich Internet Applications
- Flashback to January 2006: Exclusive SYS-CON.TV Interviews on "OpenAjax Alliance" Announcement
- "Real-World AJAX" One-Day Seminar Arrives in Silicon Valley
- AJAXWorld Conference & Expo to Take Place October 2-4, 2006, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, California
- AJAX Sponsor Webcasts Are Now Available at AJAXWorld Website
- AJAXWorld University Announces AJAX Developer Bootcamp
- i-Technology 2008 Predictions: Where's RIAs, AJAX, SOA and Virtualization Headed in 2008?
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
Jul. 23, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,183
Cloud Computing is evolving into a Big Three of Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure. Cloud 360: Multi-Cloud Bootcamp, being held Nov 4–5, 2014, in conjunction with 15th Cloud Expo in Santa Clara, CA, delivers a real-world demonstration of how to deploy and configure a scalable and available web application on all three platforms. The Cloud 360 Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, an analyst with Gigaom Research, is the first bootcamp that introduces the core concepts of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) based on the workings of the Big Three platforms – Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine, and Azure VMs. Bootcamp attendees will get to see the big picture and also receive the knowledge needed to make the best cloud decisions for their business applications and entire enterprise IT organization.
Jul. 23, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,046
The Internet of Things is a natural complement to the cloud and related technologies such as Big Data, analytics, and mobility. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Joe Weinman will lay out four generic strategies – digital disciplines – to exploit emerging digital technologies for strategic advantage. Joe Weinman has held executive leadership positions at Bell Labs, AT&T, Hewlett-Packard, and Telx, in areas such as corporate strategy, business development, product management, operations, and R&D.
Jul. 21, 2014 11:17 AM EDT Reads: 1,716
SYS-CON Events announced today that DevOps.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's “DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo,” which will take place on June 10–12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. DevOps.com is where the world meets DevOps. It is the largest collection of original content relating to DevOps on the web today Featuring up-to-the-minute news, feature stories, blogs, bylined articles and more, DevOps.com is where the thought leaders of the DevOps movement make their ideas known.
Jul. 20, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,528
There are 182 billion emails sent every day, generating a lot of data about how recipients and ISPs respond. Many marketers take a more-is-better approach to stats, preferring to have the ability to slice and dice their email lists based numerous arbitrary stats. However, fundamentally what really matters is whether or not sending an email to a particular recipient will generate value. Data Scientists can design high-level insights such as engagement prediction models and content clusters that allow marketers to cut through the noise and design their campaigns around strong, predictive signals, rather than arbitrary statistics. SendGrid sends up to half a billion emails a day for customers such as Pinterest and GitHub. All this email adds up to more text than produced in the entire twitterverse. We track events like clicks, opens and deliveries to help improve deliverability for our customers – adding up to over 50 billion useful events every month. While SendGrid data covers only abo...
Jul. 20, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,173
SYS-CON Events announced today that the Web Host Industry Review has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Since 2000, The Web Host Industry Review has made a name for itself as the foremost authority of the Web hosting industry providing reliable, insightful and comprehensive news, reviews and resources to the hosting community. TheWHIR Blogs provides a community of expert industry perspectives. The Web Host Industry Review Magazine also offers a business-minded, issue-driven perspective of interest to executives and decision-makers. WHIR TV offers on demand web hosting video interviews and web hosting video features of the key persons and events of the web hosting industry. WHIR Events brings together like-minded hosting industry professionals and decision-makers in local communities. TheWHIR is an iNET Interactive property.
Jul. 20, 2014 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,650
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Jul. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,718
SYS-CON Events announced today that Verizon has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Verizon Enterprise Solutions creates global connections that generate growth, drive business innovation and move society forward. With industry-specific solutions and a full range of global wholesale offerings provided over the company's secure mobility, cloud, strategic networking and advanced communications platforms, Verizon Enterprise Solutions helps open new opportunities around the world for innovation, investment and business transformation. Visit verizonenterprise.com to learn more.
Jul. 18, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,705
SYS-CON Events announced today that TMCnet has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Technology Marketing Corporation (TMC) is the world's leading business to business and integrated marketing media company, servicing niche markets within the communications and technology industries.
Jul. 15, 2014 04:21 PM EDT Reads: 1,186
"In my session I spoke about enterprise cloud analytics and how we can leverage analytics as a service," explained Ajay Budhraja, CTO at the Department of Justice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 14th International Cloud Expo®, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Cloud Expo® 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading Cloud industry players in the world.
Jul. 15, 2014 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,776
“We are starting to see people move beyond the commodity cloud and enterprises need to start focusing on additional value added services in order to really drive their adoption," explained Jason Mondanaro, Director of Product Management at MetraTech, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 14th International Cloud Expo®, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Cloud Expo® 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading Cloud industry players in the world.
Jul. 15, 2014 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,748
"We are automated capacity control software, which basically looks at all the supply and demand and running a virtual cloud environment and does a deep analysis of that and says where should things go," explained Andrew Hillier, Co-founder & CTO of CiRBA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 14th International Cloud Expo®, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Cloud Expo® 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading Cloud industry players in the world.
Jul. 15, 2014 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,949
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mac Devine, Distinguished Engineer at IBM, will discuss bringing these three elements together via Systems of Discover.
Jul. 15, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,079
The Internet of Things promises to transform businesses (and lives), but navigating the business and technical path to success can be difficult to understand. In his session at 15th Internet of @ThingsExpo, Chad Jones, Vice President, Product Strategy of LogMeIn's Xively IoT Platform, will show you how to approach creating broadly successful connected customer solutions using real world business transformation studies including New England BioLabs and more.
Jul. 14, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,113
All too many discussions about DevOps conclude that the solution is an all-purpose player: developer and operations guru, complete with pager for round-the-clock duty. For most organizations that is not the way forward. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Golden, Vice President of Strategy at ActiveState, will discuss how to achieve the agility and speed of end-to-end automation without requiring an organization stocked with Supermen and Superwomen.
Jul. 14, 2014 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,824