|By Business Wire||
|January 10, 2013 10:01 AM EST||
In 2013, analysts are forecasting 1.2 billion smartphones and tablets will be sold worldwide, up from 821 million in 2012. The repercussions will have a widespread impact well beyond the mobile industry, changing everything from retail to medicine to manufacturing. Mutual Mobile today shared 10 predictions for how the mobile landscape will change in the coming year.
“Mobile has evolved from being a test project in the marketing department to become a driving force in a new system of engagement with customers, partners and employees,” said John Arrow, CEO of Mutual Mobile. “In 2013, mobile will continue its meteoric rise, moving beyond the confines of a handheld device to impact everything in its path.”
In 2013, the rise of mobile will mean:
- Responsive Web will become the de-facto standard – Companies will acknowledge that the process of creating and maintaining separate mobile and Web experiences is costly and inconsistent. By the end of the year, 100 percent of the top 25 most visited websites will be fully responsive, offering a scalable approach that creates an optimal experience on every front.
- Apple embraces a universal OS – Apple’s announcement that iOS and OS X will be unified under a single leader is yet another sign the company intends to create a single, universal operating system across all of its devices -- an important step towards ensuring a consistent user experience across platforms, while increasing revenue opportunities.
- Consumer electronics industry will experience significant decline – As tablets continue to add functionality, they will render consumer electronics increasingly obsolete. Point and shoot cameras, GPS systems and video recorders are just the start. New battle lines have been drawn and hardware manufacturers will have to start thinking in terms of software, or become irrelevant. Escort is a leading innovator in this space.
- IVR will fade into obscurity – Companies will completely rethink customer support, leading to the demise of Interactive Voice Response (IVR). Instead, consumers will turn to mobile apps to inquire about products and services, ultimately making call centers irrelevant. Insurance companies already allow you to submit claims directly from your smartphone. Others will quickly follow suit.
- Windows 8 will take a 10 percent share of the tablet market – Companies that have been reluctant to invest in mobile will shift their thinking now that they can integrate Windows 8 tablets directly into their technology stack. While Microsoft may have its doubters, the company has always been able to catch up quickly.
- Mobile will kill direct mail – The U.S. Postal Service is older than the United States, but by 2020 it is likely to be a thing of the past. Email is not only cheaper, but also more efficient, and now that it can be accessed from mobile devices – anywhere, anytime – the end is near for direct mail and the infrastructure that supports it.
- Voice search will make its move – Apple will enter the search engine business, using Siri to provide a voice-centric, highly UI-based search experience. Companies will then leverage this functionality to extend powerful new features to their end-users.
- Only the strong survive – Massive consolidation in the app development space will mean fewer, but more impactful players delivering strategic business solutions. Clients will transition from one-off transactional relationships to long-term partnerships focused on building the lifetime value of their business.
- Android’s days as the lesser OS are over – Thanks to Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, Android is capturing users at a rate of 1.3 million activations every day with a newly improved UI that is more user-centric, tactile and cognitive, and tears down the walls between applications. Keep an eye on these adoption figures as Android sets its sights on iOS.
- Chief Mobile Officer takes a seat at the table – As companies increasingly embrace mobile as a strategic initiative for the company, the role of Chief Mobile Officer (and new Center of Mobile Excellence) will become the key to organizational success, bridging the gap between sales, marketing, customer support and IT.
For years, mobile innovation has focused primarily on the consumer. However, moving into 2013 there are tremendous opportunities for companies to design an enterprise mobile strategy that aligns user needs, business goals and evolving technologies. Mutual Mobile’s deep industry expertise helps organizations increase adoption and engagement, and generate real ROI from mobile investments. For more information, visit the Mutual Mobile Strategy Hub.
About Mutual Mobile
Mutual Mobile creates rich user experiences that reinvent how businesses engage the world through mobile. Combining deep design, development and domain expertise, Mutual Mobile’s custom software solutions allow clients to connect people, processes and data, from the back office to the point of sale, and everywhere in between. Mutual Mobile works with the world’s leading brands – including Audi, Cisco, Google and Philips – to uncover new revenue opportunities and increase the lifetime value of mobile through continuous innovation and measurement. Named one of America’s Most Promising companies by Forbes, Mutual Mobile is based in Austin, Texas. For more information, visit: http://www.mutualmobile.com.
[session] Focusing on Time-to-Value in Big Data Deployments By @AndyWarfield | @BigDataExpo #BigData
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 6, 2016 07:15 PM EST
How Best to Integrate Cloud Foundry into Your Existing Ecosystem By @Gidrontxt | @DevOpsSummit #DevOps
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 703
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 6, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 348
Your business relies on your applications and your employees to stay in business. Whether you develop apps or manage business critical apps that help fuel your business, what happens when users experience sluggish performance? You and all technical teams across the organization – application, network, operations, among others, as well as, those outside the organization, like ISPs and third-party providers – are called in to solve the problem.
Feb. 6, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 679
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 6, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 336
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City, and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Feb. 6, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 510
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 6, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 535
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 6, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 313
Let’s face it, embracing new storage technologies, capabilities and upgrading to new hardware often adds complexity and increases costs. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Seth Oxenhorn, Vice President of Business Development & Alliances at FalconStor, will discuss how a truly heterogeneous software-defined storage approach can add value to legacy platforms and heterogeneous environments. The result reduces complexity, significantly lowers cost, and provides IT organizations with improved effi...
Feb. 6, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 199
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 6, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 130
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 6, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 118
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 6, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 112
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 6, 2016 11:00 AM EST
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 6, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 163
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 6, 2016 09:45 AM EST Reads: 331
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., focused on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what do...
Feb. 6, 2016 08:00 AM EST Reads: 174
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 6, 2016 07:45 AM EST Reads: 131
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 6, 2016 07:30 AM EST Reads: 290
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 6, 2016 07:30 AM EST Reads: 161