|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 03:01 AM EST||
SAN JOSE, Calif., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With a continued focus on delivering the industry's most trusted, high-performance and reliable solutions for content creators, G-Technology today announced that its G-SPEED¹ RAID external storage solutions now come equipped with the industry's highest capacity and most reliable enterprise-class hard disk drives (HDDs), the 4TB HGST Ultrastar drives. With 7,200 RPM performance, 64MB cache, the highest 2.0 million hour mean-time-between-failure² (MTBF) HDD specification, and unique enterprise-class features, the G-Technology G-SPEED family continues to deliver uncompromised performance, quality and reliability for the escalating demands of today's post-production workflows.
Capacity and Performance Requirements Explode
With video resolutions and frame rates increasing, and 3D projects multiplying, high-capacity high-performance storage requirements are exploding. For example, a short film or commercial shot in 2K resolution requires up to 20TB+ of storage capacity and up to 1,000MB per second (MBps) sustained data rates for editing and post production to ensure data integrity, no dropped frames and a quick workflow. However, to keep up with capacity demands, scaling storage requirements can be challenging especially with limited or shrinking budgets, tempting some to buy cheaper RAID solutions with desktop-class hard drives. But the pros know, when your digital content is your livelihood, it is important to properly balance system requirements with RAID storage features that match the rigors of the post-production environment.
Just like data centers that use enterprise-class solutions, creative studios and post production houses are constantly streaming business critical data in RAID environments, and demand 24/7 reliability and performance. By combining high capacity, high performance and enterprise-class features, G-Technology's G-SPEED solutions set a new bar in meeting the rigorous demands of professional content creation applications, spanning all levels of audio, video, image and post-production.
Why Enterprise-Class HDDs Matter
The 4TB HGST enterprise-class drives are the only SATA HDDs rated at 2.0 million hours mean time between failure (MTBF), and receive additional manufacturing and testing at extended temperature ranges to ensure a target of less than one non-recoverable bit error per 1015 bits read (i.e. no dropped frames). They also utilize enterprise-specific firmware to minimize the performance impact of rotational vibration interference (RVI) found in rack-mounted servers and multi-drive storage arrays, and feature special error recovery and detection features that help maximize performance and improve data integrity. All these attributes make them the workhorse inside G-Technology's high-quality, high-performance G-SPEED solutions.
Integrating enterprise-class HDDs since 2011, G-Technology is the only external storage vendor in the world with a complete line of enterprise-class 7,200 RPM drive-based, RAID external storage solutions specifically designed for the A/V market. All G-SPEED solution feature an all-aluminium enclosure with four hot-swappable drives, and a "smart" cooling fan that ensures a quiet, reliable operation. The G-SPEED family includes:
- G-SPEED Q – An affordable, high-performance RAID storage solution for creative professionals. It comes equipped with 3Gbit eSATA, FireWire® 800, FireWire 400 (via cable) and USB 2.0 interfaces for maximum flexibility. With capacities up to 16TB and speeds reaching in excess of 200MBps using eSATA, the G-SPEED Q solution easily supports SD and HD Final Cut Pro® and Adobe Premiere® compressed workflows. With its built-in RAID controller, the G-SPEED Q solution is not tied to a single workstation and can be easily transported and used on a laptop or desktop in the edit bay or on the road. Formatted for Macs, the compact and quiet G-SPEED Q solution can be configured in RAID 0 or 5. Now available, the G-SPEED Q comes in 8TB ($1,399.95 MSRP), 12TB ($1,799.95) and 16TB ($2299.95).
- G-SPEED eS – A compact four-bay eSATA solution that gives professional content creators outstanding performance, high storage capacity and fail-safe operation at an unprecedented low cost per gigabyte. When used with the G-Technology PCIe x4 RAID controller (sold separately), a single G-SPEED eS supports up to four simultaneous streams of ProRes422 HQ or one stream of uncompressed 1080/60i. As many as four G-SPEED eS enclosures can be attached to a single workstation, providing up to 64TB of high-performance RAID protected storage. The G-Technology PCIe x4 RAID controller supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and JBOD, and is configured and monitored using a full-featured web interface. The G-SPEED eS external storage solutions are now available and come in 8TB ($1,399.95 MSRP), 12TB ($1,899.95) and 16TB ($2399.95).
- G-SPEED eS PRO – A blazing-fast solution for uncompressed HD and 2K workflows with mini Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) connectivity that provides Fibre Channel-like performance at a fraction of the cost. When used with an ATTO® R680 PCIe RAID controller (sold separately), a single G-SPEED eS PRO enclosure supports real-time playback of 10-bit uncompressed 1080/60i with more than 400MBps sustained performance. When two G-SPEED eS PROs are connected to an ATTO R680 card in RAID 5 it delivers speeds close to 1,000MBps, easily supporting two simultaneous streams of uncompressed 10-bit HD or a single 2K DPX sequence. The G-SPEED eS PRO with the ATTO eight-lane PCIe RAID controller supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5 and 6, and can scale up to 32TB, making it the most cost-effective desktop RAID storage solution designed specifically for high-end post. The G-SPEED eS PRO solution is now available in 8TB ($1,899.95 MSRP), 12TB ($2,399.95) and 16TB ($2899.95).
"We are in a high def revolution, and professionals in performance-intensive environments cannot afford dropped frames, latency issues or compromised reliability as their livelihood depends on the content they create," said Mike Williams, vice president and general manager of HGST's Branded Business. "Because of their stringent requirements and our commitment to their profession, G-Technology continues to optimize its G-SPEED family to offer the best RAID solutions in terms of quality, value and performance for the professional content creation market."
All G-SPEED products with enterprise-class drives feature a three-year standard factory warranty. Please visit www.g-technology.com for more information.
Keep updated with further news about G-Technology by connecting to G-Technology's social network channels:
HGST (formerly known as Hitachi Global Storage Technologies or Hitachi GST), a Western Digital company (NASDAQ: WDC), develops advanced hard disk drives, enterprise‐class solid state drives, innovative external storage solutions and services used to store, preserve and manage the world's most valued data. Founded by the pioneers of hard drives, HGST provides high‐value storage for a broad range of market segments, including Enterprise, Desktop, Mobile Computing, Consumer Electronics and Personal Storage. HGST was established in 2003 and maintains its U.S. headquarters in San Jose, California. For more information, please visit the company's website at http://www.hgst.com.
¹The G-SPEED Q, G-SPEED eS and G-SPEED eS PRO models are not supported by Windows® XP or older 32-bit operating systems, which limit maximum volume size to 2.2TB. All G-SPEED solutions are compatible with Mac® OS X, Windows Vista® or other 64-bit operating systems.
²This MTBF rating is based on a sample population and is estimated by statistical measurements and acceleration algorithms under nominal operating conditions. MTBF ratings are not intended to predict an individual drive's reliability. MTBF does not constitute a warranty.
G-Technology external hard drives serve as an element of an overall backup strategy. It is recommended that users keep two or more copies of their most important files backed up or stored on separate devices or online services.
G-Technology, G-SPEED and Ultrastar are trademarks of HGST, a Western Digital company. Western Digital, WD, and the WD logo are registered trademarks of Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
For more information contact:
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- IoT: I Don't Care How Big It Is!
- Power Panel: IoT Poineers Discuss Internet Of Things
- AppDynamics Closes $120 Million in Growth Financing to Accelerate Platform and Sales Expansion
- Business Process Management (BPM), Cloud, Mobile, and Patterns Market Shares, Strategies, and Forecasts, Worldwide, 2014-2020
- @ThingsExpo Debuts Internet Of Things Newsletter
- "Cloud Computing 2.0" -- I'm Serious
- Global e-Learning Industry
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Express Logic Eases IoT Development
- (BPM) Business Process Management Market to Reach $10 Billion by 2020
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- Flexera Software Increases Commitment to Europe with Germany-based Datacenter to Host FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud for European Customers
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Apple iOS and the Enterprise - Latest Developments
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- IoT: I Don't Care How Big It Is!
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Android and the Open Automotive Alliance Shift into the Next Gear
- How to Monitor Swift/iOS8 Applications for Crashes and Performance Issues
- More on OnLive: New Cloud Solution Delivers Secure Cross-Platform Deployment for Graphics Intensive Applications
- The Top 50 Most Powerful Women in Technology Announced by the National Diversity Council
- Building a Drag-and-Drop Shopping Cart with AJAX
- What Is AJAX?
- Google Maps! AJAX-Style Web Development Using ASP.NET
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- How and Why AJAX, Not Java, Became the Favored Technology for Rich Internet Applications
- Flashback to January 2006: Exclusive SYS-CON.TV Interviews on "OpenAjax Alliance" Announcement
- "Real-World AJAX" One-Day Seminar Arrives in Silicon Valley
- AJAXWorld Conference & Expo to Take Place October 2-4, 2006, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, California
- AJAX Sponsor Webcasts Are Now Available at AJAXWorld Website
- AJAXWorld University Announces AJAX Developer Bootcamp
- i-Technology 2008 Predictions: Where's RIAs, AJAX, SOA and Virtualization Headed in 2008?
With the explosion of the cloud, more businesses are transitioning to a recurring revenue model to generate reliable sales, grow profits, and open new markets. This opportunity requires businesses to get to market quickly with the pricing and packaging options customers want. In addition, you will want to take advantage of the ensuing tidal wave of data to more effectively upsell, cross-sell and manage your customers. All of this is possible, but only with the right approach. At 15th Cloud Expo, Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder at Aria Systems and the inventor of cloud billing panelists, will lead a panel discussion on what it takes to launch and manage a successful recurring revenue business. The panelists will offer their insights about what each department will need to consider, from financial management to line of business and IT. The panelists will also offer examples from their success in recurring revenue with companies such as Audi, Constant Contact, Experian, Pitney-Bowes, Teleko...
Sep. 12, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,203
Planning scalable environments isn't terribly difficult, but it does require a change of perspective. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Development Community Advocate for SoftLayer, will broaden your views to think on an Internet scale by dissecting a video publishing application built with The SoftLayer Platform, Message Queuing, Object Storage, and Drupal. By examining a scalable modular application build that can handle unpredictable traffic, attendees will able to grow your development arsenal and pick up a few strategies to apply to your own projects.
Sep. 12, 2014 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,557
Come learn about what you need to consider when moving your data to the cloud. In her session at 15th Cloud Expo, Skyla Loomis, a Program Director of Cloudant Development at Cloudant, will discuss the security, performance, and operational implications of keeping your data on premise, moving it to the cloud, or taking a hybrid approach. She will use real customer examples to illustrate the tradeoffs, key decision points, and how to be successful with a cloud or hybrid cloud solution.
Sep. 12, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,755
The cloud provides an easy onramp to building and deploying Big Data solutions. Transitioning from initial deployment to large-scale, highly performant operations may not be as easy. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, will discuss the benefits, weaknesses, and performance characteristics of public and bare metal cloud deployments that can help you make the right decisions.
Sep. 11, 2014 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,994
Over the last few years the healthcare ecosystem has revolved around innovations in Electronic Health Record (HER) based systems. This evolution has helped us achieve much desired interoperability. Now the focus is shifting to other equally important aspects – scalability and performance. While applying cloud computing environments to the EHR systems, a special consideration needs to be given to the cloud enablement of Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VistA), i.e., the largest single medical system in the United States.
Sep. 10, 2014 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,015
Cloud and Big Data present unique dilemmas: embracing the benefits of these new technologies while maintaining the security of your organization’s assets. When an outside party owns, controls and manages your infrastructure and computational resources, how can you be assured that sensitive data remains private and secure? How do you best protect data in mixed use cloud and big data infrastructure sets? Can you still satisfy the full range of reporting, compliance and regulatory requirements? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Derek Tumulak, Vice President of Product Management at Vormetric, will discuss how to address data security in cloud and Big Data environments so that your organization isn’t next week’s data breach headline.
Sep. 10, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,428
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
Sep. 6, 2014 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,539
Is your organization struggling to deal with skyrocketing volumes of digital assets? The amount of data is growing exponentially and organizations are having a hard time managing this growth. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Amar Kapadia, Senior Director of Open Cloud Strategy at Seagate, will walk through the essential considerations when developing a cloud storage strategy. In this discussion, you will understand the challenges IT is facing, why companies need to move to cloud, and how the right cloud model can help your business economically overcome the data struggle.
Sep. 6, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,546
If cloud computing benefits are so clear, why have so few enterprises migrated their mission-critical apps? The answer is often inertia and FUD. No one ever got fired for not moving to the cloud – not yet. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Michael Hoch, SVP, Cloud Advisory Service at Virtustream, will discuss the six key steps to justify and execute your MCA cloud migration.
Sep. 6, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,611
The 16th International Cloud Expo announces that its Call for Papers is now open. 16th International Cloud Expo, to be held June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Sep. 5, 2014 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,785
Most of today’s hardware manufacturers are building servers with at least one SATA Port, but not every systems engineer utilizes them. This is considered a loss in the game of maximizing potential storage space in a fixed unit. The SATADOM Series was created by Innodisk as a high-performance, small form factor boot drive with low power consumption to be plugged into the unused SATA port on your server board as an alternative to hard drive or USB boot-up. Built for 1U systems, this powerful device is smaller than a one dollar coin, and frees up otherwise dead space on your motherboard. To meet the requirements of tomorrow’s cloud hardware, Innodisk invested internal R&D resources to develop our SATA III series of products. The SATA III SATADOM boasts 500/180MBs R/W Speeds respectively, or double R/W Speed of SATA II products.
Sep. 4, 2014 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 8,372
In today's application economy, enterprise organizations realize that it's their applications that are the heart and soul of their business. If their application users have a bad experience, their revenue and reputation are at stake. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior Director of Product Marketing for Application Performance Management at CA Technologies, will discuss how a user-centric Application Performance Management solution can help inspire your users with every application transaction.
Sep. 4, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,655
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridstore delivers vmOptimized™ Storage that self-optimizes to each application or VM across both virtual and physical environments. Leveraging a grid architecture, Gridstore delivers the first end-to-end storage QoS to ensure the most important App or VM performance is never compromised. The storage grid, that uses Gridstore’s performance optimized nodes or capacity optimized nodes, starts with as few a...
Sep. 4, 2014 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,230
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudian is a Foster City, Calif.-based software company specializing in cloud storage. Cloudian HyperStore® is an S3-compatible cloud object storage platform that enables service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable hybrid cloud storage solutions. Cloudian actively partners with leading cloud computing environments including Amazon Web Services, Citrix Cloud Platform, Apache CloudStack, OpenStack and the vast ecosystem of S3 compatible tools and applications. Cloudian's customers include Vodafone, Nextel, NTT, Nifty, and LunaCloud. The company has additional offices in China and Japan.
Sep. 3, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,922
SYS-CON Events announced today that TechXtend (formerly Programmer’s Paradise), a leading value-added provider of server and storage virtualization, and r-evolution will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechXtend (formerly Programmer’s Paradise) is a leading value-added provider of software, systems and solutions for corporations, government organizations, and academic institutions across the United States and Canada. TechXtend is the Exclusive Reseller in the United States for r-evolution
Sep. 3, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,439