|By Marketwired .||
|November 22, 2012 10:30 AM EST||
RICHMOND, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/22/12 -- To simplify your gifting choices London Drugs presents the top 2012 holiday tech gift ideas for home, life and play.
- Bring families closer together with a gift that everyone can use with the enhanced line of LED backlit LCD televisions available this season. A Panasonic Viera 47-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Backlit LCD TV provides full HD viewing with vivid colour creation and Energy Star 5.3 efficiency rating. For families looking for Plasma quality, the Panasonic 50-inch 1080p Plasma TV provides a rapid refresh rate equivalent to 600 Hz and crystal-clear image detail with full HD 1080p picture quality. It's the highest in-home resolution available. With a USB input anyone can view media instantly. Families wanting more connectivity with their televisions can focus their attention on the Samsung 55-inch 120Hz Smart LED Backlit LCD TV. Samsung's ES6100 Series has a slender design and features advanced SMART TV capabilities bringing the internet to your favourite seat in the house.
- Bring the gift of sound and transform your television and receiver sound to the next level with the Harman / Kardon Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer. This theatre audio solution offers the flexibility of a wireless subwoofer, so you can easily place it virtually anywhere in your home entertainment room.
- Wrap up a router to get the best performance out of your wireless devices and home entertainment systems. The Cisco Linksys EA3500 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router features Dual-Band N technology and a USB port for shared storage. the Guest Access feature makes sharing Internet access to other wireless devices extremely easy while maintaining maximum security to your home network.
- Another gift for the whole family is the Touchsquid 7-inch Tablet Remote allowing everyone to keep their devices to themselves. This 7-inch LCD touch screen uses Android OS 2.3. This is the perfect multi-purpose device to control home entertainment devices.
- For audiophiles in your life, the top gift to consider is the Samsung Vacuum Tube Audio Dock. The unique hybrid technology combines digital and vacuum tube amplifiers for modern performance with classic sound. Available in cherry wood, the Samsung DA-E750 is an investment piece towards your personal revitalization of music.
- For those on the go, tablets make the best gift. The Asus Google Nexus 32GB 7-inch Tablet is the World's first 7-inch quad-core tablet with an advanced multimedia experience with up to 9.5 hours of battery life. The Nexus brand represents a premium Android-based device that delivers the best Google experience available on tablet. Blackberry's 32Gb Playbook is a multitasking tablet that attracts a variety of users and features an appealing price. The Playbook provides a best-in-class multimedia experience with a crystal clear 7-inch LCD display with 3 and 5 megapixel cameras and full 1080p video. The Asus 10.1-inch Transformer Prime Tablet features a 10.1inch Super IPS+ WXGA multi-touch LED backlit display made from durable and scratch-resistant Corning®Gorilla® glass for brilliant HD entertainment and intuitive navigation. This tablet features a 2MP front camera and 8MP auto-focus rear camera with flash. Also includes a Tegra 3 quad core processor and even has built in photo editing using the latest Android operating system.
- Computers are still top gifts for everyone on your list. Laptop users can look towards the Toshiba Satellite Z930-010 1.7GHz Ultrabook. This Ultrabook has the key features you need in each laptop. For the stay at home kind of person consider the HP TouchSmart Envy 20-inch All-in-one PC. This computer features an innovative touch screen, a suite of built-for-touch apps, and an iconic new look and feel. The HD display provides an almost cinematic experience and favourite online destinations can be found with touch interfaces. This computer is optimized for the Windows 8 touch experience. For power users and gamers on gift lists consider the Certified Date 17 - 3770 Desktop Computer. This beauty is powered b y windows 8 and the latest Intel i7 Ivy Bridge processor for blazing fast performance. This is just the beginning! How about 16 GB of DDR3 memory, the latest ATI (HD 7770 1GB) DirectX 11 Graphics for the best visual and gaming experience, and a massive 2TB hard drive. With these features, this system will do it all. Proudly assembled in Canada, and supported by all London Drugs locations.
- For the Console Gamer consider the Xbox 360 250GB Holiday bundle. It comes with a spacious 250Gb hard drive that gives the space needed to store arcade games, movies, demos and even full Xbox 360 games. Includes Forza Motorsport 4 game, Elder Scrolls V Skyrim download token, Xbox live one month subscription and Xbox 360 headset.
- The PANASONIC TOUGHBOOK is definitely in the category of gifts for play. With its tough magnesium alloy case (20 times stronger than ABS plastic) and shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive this Toughbook is able to withstand a 30inch drop yet amazingly weighs only just about 3 and a half pounds.. The spill-resistant keyboard can survive the bangs, bumps and spills of a hectic day. Add to that the flexibility of supporting both USB 3.0 and 2.0, analog (VGA) and digital (HDMI) video, the latest SD card standard (SDXC), a DVD drive, a 14.1-inch LED widescreen display, you get a laptop that can get more out of a day. Perfect for the rugged worker on your list.
- If you have a traveler you need to buy for, then a must have is the D-Link All-in-One Mobile Companion. This tiny device can turn any existing Internet connection into your own personal secure Wi-Fi Hot Spot. Perfect for hotels with poor wireless signal. With the built-in USB port, you can easily add wireless storage to your iPhone, iPad and Android devices, giving you more capacity for your favourite media. Just plug in a USB drive to the Mobile Companion and instantly access and share your favorite movies, music and photos.
- For the adventurer on your list let the gift be one they can enjoy over and over again to capture breathtaking moments. The GoPro Hero 3: Silver Edition Camera is smaller and lighter than its predecessor. It's also Wi-Fi enabled. The Hero3 is designed for recording action sports and it comes with a rugged, waterproof housing that can go down to a depth of 197; (60m). The camera captures up to full HD 1920 X 1080p video at 30 fps, but it also captures 960p, 720p and 480p video as well. Plus, it supports NTSC and PAL, and it can record up to 120 fps. For still images, the Hero3 supports 5, 8 and 11-megapixel photos.
- For the connected adventurer the Sony Action Cam AS15B is a rugged, wearable full HD video camcorder with built-in Wi-Fi. Weighting 3.2 ounces with the battery, this camera lets you capture adventures on the mountain, in the water, and anywhere else with quick-connect mounts and a ruggedized waterproof housing good down to 197 ft. (60 m). Footage and photos can be shared with the PlayMemories Mobile(TM) application with Wi-Fi enabled phones and tablets. Once clips are selected they are transferred and compressed into web-optimized videos and photos without a single cable.
- Designers and photographers on your list will love the selection of Wacom tablets. The Intuous 5 touch tablet combines Wacom's most advanced pen technology with multi-touch functionality. Natural and intuitive to use, the tablet lets you alternate between using multi-touch gestures to position and navigate your artwork and the pressure-sensitive pen to sketch, paint, retouch, and edit. Works with both PC and Mac. A mush have for anyone using Adobe Lightroom. Turn your pictures into works of art, with the touch of a pen.
For a full list of al gift ideas from London Drugs visit the Christmas Gift Guide.
About London Drugs
Founded in 1945, B.C.-based London Drugs has 76 stores in more than 35 major markets throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba including its online store www.londondrugs.com London Drugs offers consumers a range of products from digital cameras and cosmetics to computers and televisions. Renowned for its creative approach to retailing, the company employs more than 7,500 people with pharmacy and health care services being the heart of its business. Committed to innovation and superior customer service, London Drugs has established itself as a reputable and caring company and continues to position itself for future growth and development.
For London Drugs' physical locations visit the Store Locator.
London Drugs Social Media:
London Drugs Blogs:
For more information, to arrange an in-store photo, filming or interview please contact Cynnamon Schreinert or Angela Joyce.
The enterprise is being consumerized, and the consumer is being enterprised. Moore's Law does not matter anymore, the future belongs to business virtualization powered by invisible service architecture, powered by hyperscale and hyperconvergence, and facilitated by vertical streaming and horizontal scaling and consolidation. Both buyers and sellers want instant results, and from paperwork to paperless to mindless is the ultimate goal for any seamless transaction. The sweetest sweet spot in innov...
Oct. 10, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 229
SYS-CON Events announced today that Key Information Systems, Inc. (KeyInfo), a leading cloud and infrastructure provider offering integrated solutions to enterprises, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Key Information Systems is a leading regional systems integrator with world-class compute, storage and networking solutions and professional services for the most advanced softwa...
Oct. 10, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 438
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 10, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,933
DevOps and Continuous Delivery software provider XebiaLabs has announced it has been selected to join the Amazon Web Services (AWS) DevOps Competency partner program. The program is designed to highlight software vendors like XebiaLabs who have demonstrated technical expertise and proven customer success in DevOps and specialized solution areas like Continuous Delivery. DevOps Competency Partners provide solutions to, or have deep experience working with AWS users and other businesses to help t...
Oct. 10, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 244
The modern software development landscape consists of best practices and tools that allow teams to deliver software in a near-continuous manner. By adopting a culture of automation, measurement and sharing, the time to ship code has been greatly reduced, allowing for shorter release cycles and quicker feedback from customers and users. Still, with all of these tools and methods, how can teams stay on top of what is taking place across their infrastructure and codebase? Hopping between services a...
Oct. 10, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 527
Containers are changing the security landscape for software development and deployment. As with any security solutions, security approaches that work for developers, operations personnel and security professionals is a requirement. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Kevin Gilpin, CTO and Co-Founder of Conjur, will discuss various security considerations for container-based infrastructure and related DevOps workflows.
Oct. 10, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 271
Enterprises can achieve rigorous IT security as well as improved DevOps practices and Cloud economics by taking a new, cloud-native approach to application delivery. Because the attack surface for cloud applications is dramatically different than for highly controlled data centers, a disciplined and multi-layered approach that spans all of your processes, staff, vendors and technologies is required. This may sound expensive and time consuming to achieve as you plan how to move selected applicati...
Oct. 10, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 733
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 10, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 601
The cloud has reached mainstream IT. Those 18.7 million data centers out there (server closets to corporate data centers to colocation deployments) are moving to the cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Achim Weiss, CEO & co-founder of ProfitBricks, will share how two companies – one in the U.S. and one in Germany – are achieving their goals with cloud infrastructure. More than a case study, he will share the details of how they prioritized their cloud computing infrastructure deployments ...
Oct. 10, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 755
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete en...
Oct. 10, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 333
Data loss happens, even in the cloud. In fact, if your company has adopted a cloud application in the past three years, data loss has probably happened, whether you know it or not. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bryan Forrester, Senior Vice President of Sales at eFolder, will present how common and costly cloud application data loss is and what measures you can take to protect your organization from data loss.
Oct. 10, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 593
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet condit...
Oct. 10, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 660
Between the compelling mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at DevOps Summit, Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how busine...
Oct. 10, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 319
Interested in leveraging automation technologies and a cloud architecture to make developers more productive? Learn how PaaS can benefit your organization to help you streamline your application development, allow you to use existing infrastructure and improve operational efficiencies. Begin charting your path to PaaS with OpenShift Enterprise.
Oct. 10, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 584
Achim Weiss is Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of ProfitBricks. In 1995, he broke off his studies to co-found the web hosting company "Schlund+Partner." The company "Schlund+Partner" later became the 1&1 web hosting product line. From 1995 to 2008, he was the technical director for several important projects: the largest web hosting platform in the world, the second largest DSL platform, a video on-demand delivery network, the largest eMail backend in Europe, and a universal billing syste...
Oct. 10, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 254
Containers are revolutionizing the way we deploy and maintain our infrastructures, but monitoring and troubleshooting in a containerized environment can still be painful and impractical. Understanding even basic resource usage is difficult - let alone tracking network connections or malicious activity. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gianluca Borello, Sr. Software Engineer at Sysdig, will cover the current state of the art for container monitoring and visibility, including pros / cons and li...
Oct. 10, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 270
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and Containers together help companies to achieve their business goals faster and more effectively.
Oct. 10, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 226
As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ability. Many are unable to effectively engage and inspire, creating forward momentum in the direction of desired change. Renowned for its approach to leadership and emphasis on their people, organizations increasingly look to our military for insight into these challenges.
Oct. 9, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 220
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi's VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driv...
Oct. 9, 2015 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 151
There are many considerations when moving applications from on-premise to cloud. It is critical to understand the benefits and also challenges of this migration. A successful migration will result in lower Total Cost of Ownership, yet offer the same or higher level of robustness. Migration to cloud shifts computing resources from your data center, which can yield significant advantages provided that the cloud vendor an offer enterprise-grade quality for your application.
Oct. 9, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 326