|By Marketwired .||
|November 22, 2012 10:30 AM EST||
RICHMOND, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/22/12 -- To simplify your gifting choices London Drugs presents the top 2012 holiday tech gift ideas for home, life and play.
- Bring families closer together with a gift that everyone can use with the enhanced line of LED backlit LCD televisions available this season. A Panasonic Viera 47-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Backlit LCD TV provides full HD viewing with vivid colour creation and Energy Star 5.3 efficiency rating. For families looking for Plasma quality, the Panasonic 50-inch 1080p Plasma TV provides a rapid refresh rate equivalent to 600 Hz and crystal-clear image detail with full HD 1080p picture quality. It's the highest in-home resolution available. With a USB input anyone can view media instantly. Families wanting more connectivity with their televisions can focus their attention on the Samsung 55-inch 120Hz Smart LED Backlit LCD TV. Samsung's ES6100 Series has a slender design and features advanced SMART TV capabilities bringing the internet to your favourite seat in the house.
- Bring the gift of sound and transform your television and receiver sound to the next level with the Harman / Kardon Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer. This theatre audio solution offers the flexibility of a wireless subwoofer, so you can easily place it virtually anywhere in your home entertainment room.
- Wrap up a router to get the best performance out of your wireless devices and home entertainment systems. The Cisco Linksys EA3500 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router features Dual-Band N technology and a USB port for shared storage. the Guest Access feature makes sharing Internet access to other wireless devices extremely easy while maintaining maximum security to your home network.
- Another gift for the whole family is the Touchsquid 7-inch Tablet Remote allowing everyone to keep their devices to themselves. This 7-inch LCD touch screen uses Android OS 2.3. This is the perfect multi-purpose device to control home entertainment devices.
- For audiophiles in your life, the top gift to consider is the Samsung Vacuum Tube Audio Dock. The unique hybrid technology combines digital and vacuum tube amplifiers for modern performance with classic sound. Available in cherry wood, the Samsung DA-E750 is an investment piece towards your personal revitalization of music.
- For those on the go, tablets make the best gift. The Asus Google Nexus 32GB 7-inch Tablet is the World's first 7-inch quad-core tablet with an advanced multimedia experience with up to 9.5 hours of battery life. The Nexus brand represents a premium Android-based device that delivers the best Google experience available on tablet. Blackberry's 32Gb Playbook is a multitasking tablet that attracts a variety of users and features an appealing price. The Playbook provides a best-in-class multimedia experience with a crystal clear 7-inch LCD display with 3 and 5 megapixel cameras and full 1080p video. The Asus 10.1-inch Transformer Prime Tablet features a 10.1inch Super IPS+ WXGA multi-touch LED backlit display made from durable and scratch-resistant Corning®Gorilla® glass for brilliant HD entertainment and intuitive navigation. This tablet features a 2MP front camera and 8MP auto-focus rear camera with flash. Also includes a Tegra 3 quad core processor and even has built in photo editing using the latest Android operating system.
- Computers are still top gifts for everyone on your list. Laptop users can look towards the Toshiba Satellite Z930-010 1.7GHz Ultrabook. This Ultrabook has the key features you need in each laptop. For the stay at home kind of person consider the HP TouchSmart Envy 20-inch All-in-one PC. This computer features an innovative touch screen, a suite of built-for-touch apps, and an iconic new look and feel. The HD display provides an almost cinematic experience and favourite online destinations can be found with touch interfaces. This computer is optimized for the Windows 8 touch experience. For power users and gamers on gift lists consider the Certified Date 17 - 3770 Desktop Computer. This beauty is powered b y windows 8 and the latest Intel i7 Ivy Bridge processor for blazing fast performance. This is just the beginning! How about 16 GB of DDR3 memory, the latest ATI (HD 7770 1GB) DirectX 11 Graphics for the best visual and gaming experience, and a massive 2TB hard drive. With these features, this system will do it all. Proudly assembled in Canada, and supported by all London Drugs locations.
- For the Console Gamer consider the Xbox 360 250GB Holiday bundle. It comes with a spacious 250Gb hard drive that gives the space needed to store arcade games, movies, demos and even full Xbox 360 games. Includes Forza Motorsport 4 game, Elder Scrolls V Skyrim download token, Xbox live one month subscription and Xbox 360 headset.
- The PANASONIC TOUGHBOOK is definitely in the category of gifts for play. With its tough magnesium alloy case (20 times stronger than ABS plastic) and shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive this Toughbook is able to withstand a 30inch drop yet amazingly weighs only just about 3 and a half pounds.. The spill-resistant keyboard can survive the bangs, bumps and spills of a hectic day. Add to that the flexibility of supporting both USB 3.0 and 2.0, analog (VGA) and digital (HDMI) video, the latest SD card standard (SDXC), a DVD drive, a 14.1-inch LED widescreen display, you get a laptop that can get more out of a day. Perfect for the rugged worker on your list.
- If you have a traveler you need to buy for, then a must have is the D-Link All-in-One Mobile Companion. This tiny device can turn any existing Internet connection into your own personal secure Wi-Fi Hot Spot. Perfect for hotels with poor wireless signal. With the built-in USB port, you can easily add wireless storage to your iPhone, iPad and Android devices, giving you more capacity for your favourite media. Just plug in a USB drive to the Mobile Companion and instantly access and share your favorite movies, music and photos.
- For the adventurer on your list let the gift be one they can enjoy over and over again to capture breathtaking moments. The GoPro Hero 3: Silver Edition Camera is smaller and lighter than its predecessor. It's also Wi-Fi enabled. The Hero3 is designed for recording action sports and it comes with a rugged, waterproof housing that can go down to a depth of 197; (60m). The camera captures up to full HD 1920 X 1080p video at 30 fps, but it also captures 960p, 720p and 480p video as well. Plus, it supports NTSC and PAL, and it can record up to 120 fps. For still images, the Hero3 supports 5, 8 and 11-megapixel photos.
- For the connected adventurer the Sony Action Cam AS15B is a rugged, wearable full HD video camcorder with built-in Wi-Fi. Weighting 3.2 ounces with the battery, this camera lets you capture adventures on the mountain, in the water, and anywhere else with quick-connect mounts and a ruggedized waterproof housing good down to 197 ft. (60 m). Footage and photos can be shared with the PlayMemories Mobile(TM) application with Wi-Fi enabled phones and tablets. Once clips are selected they are transferred and compressed into web-optimized videos and photos without a single cable.
- Designers and photographers on your list will love the selection of Wacom tablets. The Intuous 5 touch tablet combines Wacom's most advanced pen technology with multi-touch functionality. Natural and intuitive to use, the tablet lets you alternate between using multi-touch gestures to position and navigate your artwork and the pressure-sensitive pen to sketch, paint, retouch, and edit. Works with both PC and Mac. A mush have for anyone using Adobe Lightroom. Turn your pictures into works of art, with the touch of a pen.
For a full list of al gift ideas from London Drugs visit the Christmas Gift Guide.
About London Drugs
Founded in 1945, B.C.-based London Drugs has 76 stores in more than 35 major markets throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba including its online store www.londondrugs.com London Drugs offers consumers a range of products from digital cameras and cosmetics to computers and televisions. Renowned for its creative approach to retailing, the company employs more than 7,500 people with pharmacy and health care services being the heart of its business. Committed to innovation and superior customer service, London Drugs has established itself as a reputable and caring company and continues to position itself for future growth and development.
For London Drugs' physical locations visit the Store Locator.
London Drugs Social Media:
London Drugs Blogs:
For more information, to arrange an in-store photo, filming or interview please contact Cynnamon Schreinert or Angela Joyce.
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 864
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Dec. 4, 2016 09:45 AM EST Reads: 533
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 4, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 597
[slides] Agility for Digital Transformation | @CloudExpo @NewhouseConsult #Agile #DigitalTransformation
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, drew together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established compa...
Dec. 4, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 786
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 4, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 564
"Venafi has a platform that allows you to manage, centralize and automate the complete life cycle of keys and certificates within the organization," explained Gina Osmond, Sr. Field Marketing Manager at Venafi, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 08:45 AM EST Reads: 799
Effectively SMBs and government programs must address compounded regulatory compliance requirements. The most recent are Controlled Unclassified Information and the EU's GDPR have Board Level implications. Managing sensitive data protection will likely result in acquisition criteria, demonstration requests and new requirements. Developers, as part of the pre-planning process and the associated supply chain, could benefit from updating their code libraries and design by incorporating changes. In...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 996
"Coalfire is a cyber-risk, security and compliance assessment and advisory services firm. We do a lot of work with the cloud service provider community," explained Ryan McGowan, Vice President, Sales (West) at Coalfire Systems, Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 776
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:15 AM EST Reads: 770
CloudJumper, a Workspace as a Service (WaaS) platform innovator for agile business IT, has been recognized with the Customer Value Leadership Award for its nWorkSpace platform by Frost & Sullivan. The company was also featured in a new report(1) by the industry research firm titled, “Desktop-as-a-Service Buyer’s Guide, 2016,” which provides a comprehensive comparison of DaaS providers, including CloudJumper, Amazon, VMware, and Microsoft.
Dec. 4, 2016 08:15 AM EST Reads: 716
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:00 AM EST Reads: 697
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, sha...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:00 AM EST Reads: 811
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Dec. 4, 2016 06:15 AM EST Reads: 6,976
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 4, 2016 05:30 AM EST Reads: 1,761
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes how...
Dec. 4, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 4,978
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 4, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 1,560
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Dec. 4, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 6,236
Let’s face it, embracing new storage technologies, capabilities and upgrading to new hardware often adds complexity and increases costs. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Seth Oxenhorn, Vice President of Business Development & Alliances at FalconStor, discussed how a truly heterogeneous software-defined storage approach can add value to legacy platforms and heterogeneous environments. The result reduces complexity, significantly lowers cost, and provides IT organizations with improved efficienc...
Dec. 4, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 4,964
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 4, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 1,580
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 02:15 AM EST Reads: 890