|By Marketwired .||
|November 15, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/15/12 -- As more Wi-Fi networks are deployed in airports, retail stores, hotels, hospitals, universities and other public venues, to meet the needs of the growing number of connected consumers, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) today introduced its advanced Wi-Fi location data analytics platform to help businesses enhance customer experiences and create new monetization opportunities.
Cisco is providing the Fernbank Museum of Natural History with a Next-Generation Internet solution delivering rich, new personalized applications and experiences to visitors on their mobile devices. The new location based products will work in tandem on the AT&T Wi-Fi network to provide a new enriching museum network. Additionally, Copenhagen Airport has also deployed Cisco's new context aware location data analytics to help improve operational efficiency, make smarter business decisions and provide a better travel experience for its passengers.
These organizations are early adopters of Cisco's contextual data analytics technology, which is embedded in their Wi-Fi networks to create new business opportunities, enhance customers' experiences, and streamline business operations. Building on Cisco's recent acquisition of ThinkSmart Technologies and the new location services and analytic features included in the Cisco® Mobility Services Engine (MSE), part of the company's Unified Access solution, Cisco is committed to providing an intelligent network for retail, travel, hospitality, healthcare, education and other industries.
Mobile business opportunities are on the rise, as evidenced by the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, which predicts that by 2016 there will be nearly 18.9 billion mobile connections. Wi-Fi-enabled devices are expected to grow at 300 percent through 2015 to 2 billion globally, according to ABI Research. Wi-Fi traffic is also expected to grow at a 34 percent rate through 2016, when it accounts for half of total Internet Protocol (IP) traffic, ABI Research predicts. This growth, combined with the majority of indoor data usage, is leading to a new set of user expectations for better experiences over a Wi-Fi network.
Innovative Mobile Customer Experiences Enabled by Cisco and its Wi-Fi Ecosystem Partners
Fernbank Museum of Natural History
Fernbank Museum of Natural History in Atlanta, Ga., is a pioneer in using technology to advance educational opportunities, focusing on creating innovative, enlightening experiences that showcase the wonders of the natural world. As part of the 20th anniversary of the founding of the museum, AT&T, in collaboration with Cisco, has created a first-of-its-kind platform using new contextually rich-indoor hyper-location technology to work in tandem with the newly installed AT&T Wi-Fi network.
The new, free opt-in Fernbank Museum application, powered by Meridian, available on November 16, will guide visitors to explore the Museum with the expertise of a paleontologist. The Fernbank journal experience includes a combination of audio, video, touch-screen inter-actives, animation, question-and-answer challenges and sketchbook activities that are activated according to the user's location within the Museum.
As visitors complete the journal sequences, they gain access to enhanced content, added activities, hidden features, new challenges, rewards and more. Additionally, the application offers a hands-on visitor map with directional navigation within the museum and details on current programming, including exhibitions and IMAX® films.
The new application will transform the way visitors experience Fernbank -- offering customized capabilities based on individual preferences that customers can control and modify on repeat visits. It will also allow Fernbank to publish local in-venue services and conduct marketing promotions accessible through users' mobile devices. The analytics platform provides real-time and historical data on visitor path and flow analysis to assist Fernbank in making staffing adjustments and optimizing venue operations.
Copenhagen Airport is the main international airport in the Nordics serving Copenhagen, Denmark and the North European region. The airport is using Cisco's Advanced Location Analytics, in partnership with global air transport IT provider SITA, to track the passenger flow of those coming and going throughout the international terminal. As a result, Copenhagen Airport can determine the appropriate level of security personnel and staff that is needed to support their passengers in a timely manner.
The analytics captured over the Wi-Fi network also allows Copenhagen Airport to monitor passenger movements from incoming flights, so they can staff accordingly in the clearance and customs department.
Examining passenger movements in the airport with location analytics was the primary driver for Copenhagen Airport's decision to work with Cisco and SITA to create a better customer experience for travelers and improve the passenger flow.
Cisco is collaborating with Qualcomm Technologies' networking and connectivity subsidiary, Qualcomm Atheros, to deliver precise indoor location capabilities on mobile devices, while helping ensure interoperability with Cisco Wi-Fi infrastructure. This collaboration provides a better indoor location capability in venues with Cisco Wi-Fi infrastructure, as well as enhances service discovery, provides greater context, and delivers a better mobile user experience.
Intelligent Wi-Fi Network Provides a "Smarter Blue Dot"
Cisco's new context-aware Wi-Fi technology enables Wi-Fi networks to deliver a "smarter blue dot," a new breed of mobile mapping services that enable informative location-based mobile applications, allowing mobile users to be better informed of their surroundings while indoors or at specific venues. Cisco's intelligent Wi-Fi networking technology delivers richer information and experiences via network-connected devices over traditional blue dot mobile mapping services and applications available on standard global-positioning satellite (GPS)-enabled devices.
New network capabilities for the Cisco Mobility Services Engine include:
- Network Services Discovery - businesses can use Wi-Fi networks to detect, connect and engage mobile users connected to their Wi-Fi network.
- Location Analytics that provide real-time location analytics and historical trends as mobile users travel around a business's facility.
- Mobile Concierge feature allows organizations to engage with mobile users through a native application on a smart mobile device. Cisco offers a software developer kit (SDK) for Mobile Concierge to ease development of applications and services that use the Cisco MSE. Mobile Concierge also provides businesses with an intelligence platform for building marketing promotions targeted directly at its customers.
- Sujai Hajela, vice president and general manager, Wireless Networking Group, Cisco
"The influx in mobile devices provides enterprises with unique ways to transform the end-user experience. The Fernbank Museum of Natural History, AT&T and Copenhagen Airport are leading the trend of using Wi-Fi to introduce exciting mobile experiences for customers that adapts to their interests and behaviors, and increases revenue. With rich radio frequency innovation in wireless networking infrastructure, our recent investment in ThinkSmart Technologies for location data analytics, and new indoor hyper-location capabilities we are unlocking an unsurpassed end-user experience and powerful business benefits. These mobile networking advancements mark the end of the days of inaccurate, two-dimensional maps and 'good-enough' services offered to people at indoor-locations and venues."
- Joey Schultz, vice president of consumer marketing, AT&T
"AT&T's vision is to expand the value of Wi-Fi networks from high-quality connectivity to a business innovation platform -- a direct result of our commitment to consumers and the business community that serves them. We view the Fernbank Museum as a showcase of technology innovation applied towards changing the relevance of a business proposition to its consumers."
* Joey Schultz, vice president of consumer marketing, AT&T also serves as a board member on the Fernbank Museum of Natural History
- Jennifer Grant Warner, senior vice president and chief programming officer, Fernbank Museum of Natural History
"We are delighted to work with AT&T and Cisco to offer the first-of-its-kind application to amplify the education value that we provide at Fernbank Museum. This groundbreaking technology maximizes convenience and engagement opportunities for visitors and offers an educational experience like no other -- while offering analytics to derive improved business planning and marketing strategies."
- Christian Poulsen, assets and technical director, Copenhagen Airport
"Copenhagen Airport, in partnership with SITA, chose Cisco for its real-time location analytics solution, giving us more insight into meaningful data about passenger patterns. A positive passenger experience is valuable to us and we strive to provide the travelers with a stress-free airport experience. In the future, we are looking to also implement push notifications with flight information and other relevant material pertinent to a passenger, as well as ensuring an appropriate level of staffing is present to assist the travelers in a timely manner."
- Cormac Conroy, vice president, location products and technology, Qualcomm
"Indoor location represents a significant opportunity for Qualcomm to enhance the mobile experience and provide businesses with a new way to reach, interact with and profit from connected consumers. Through delivery of a complete indoor-location solution, we are accelerating indoor location services for public and private venues that utilize Cisco wireless infrastructure. Our combined strengths will make indoor location technology as ubiquitous as outdoor location-based services are now."
Editor's and Blogger's Note
- At 6 p.m. (EST) today media and bloggers are invited to attend a public demonstration of the new Wi-Fi app at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History in Atlanta. Interviews are available with Fernbank Museum, AT&T and Cisco executives and Fernbank patrons. To register and attend, please contact Brandi Berry, director of public relations and promotions at Fernbank Museum, at 404-929-6339 or [email protected] or Kevin Petschow, Cisco, at 847-678-5462 or [email protected].
Embedded YouTube Videos
- Watch: "AT&T and Cisco Bring the Past to Life at Fernbank Museum"
- Watch: "Increasing Airport Efficiencies with Cisco Wi-Fi"
- Watch: "Connected Mobile Experiences Overview"
- Watch: "Connected Mobile Experiences Partner Ecosystem"
- Cisco Mobility Services Engine
- Sujai Hajela, vice president and general manager, Wireless Networking Business Unit, Cisco
- Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president and general manager, Mobile Internet Technology Group, Cisco
- Fernbank Museum Application, powered by Meridian
Supporting Partners and Resources
- Fernbank Museum of Natural History
- Copenhagen Airport
- Qualcomm Expands IZat Location Platform to Enable Indoor Positioning Experiences for Consumers, Revenue Opportunities for Businesses
- Qualcomm Atheros and Cisco Announce Indoor Mobile and Location Technology Collaboration
- Cisco Mobility Services Engine
- Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi solution
- Cisco Mobility: Enabling mobile experience, your way
- Information on Cisco Service Provider products and technologies
- For more information about Cisco's wireless networking and service provider news and activities visit the Cisco Mobility Blog and SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @Cisco_Mobility and @CiscoSPMobility
- Cisco Service Provider Mobility Community
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Keywords: Cisco, Wireless, Mobility, Mobility Services Engine, MSE, Mobile Services Locator, Mobile Concierge, Wi-Fi, WiFi, BYOD, Service Providers, Mobile Operators, Cable Operators, Mobile Internet, Enterprise, Retail, Hospitality, Travel, Sujai Hajela, Joey Schultz, Jennifer Grant Warner, Amir Faintuch, AT&T, Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Copenhagen Airport, Qualcomm, Unified Access
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2155220
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2155222
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2155224
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2155227
Industry Analyst Contacts:
Investor Relations Contact:
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Linux Foundation's Core Infrastructure Initiative Announces New Backers, First Projects to Receive Support and Advisory Board Members
- The Agile PMO
- How to Strategically Benefit from AANPM
- Zuora Caps Record Breaking Subscribed 2014 with the 63rd Release of the Award Winning Z-Business Platform
- Web Service Monitoring 101: Identifying Bad Deployments
- How to Monitor Swift/iOS8 Applications for Crashes and Performance Issues
- How to Monitor the Web Performance of Your Competition
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- "Cloud Computing 2.0" -- I'm Serious
- Storage Made Easy Brings Private Enterprise File Share and Sync for Amazon S3 to AWS GovCloud
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Adobe Releases Update to Patch Zero Day Vulnerability
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- As Registration Deadline Nears, dmexco 2014 Is More Popular Than Ever
- Software Quality Metrics for Your Continuous Delivery Pipeline | Part 2
- Atmel Extends Industry Leading maXTouch T Series with the Market's Highest Performance Touchscreen Controller
- The Problem with Cloud SLAs
- New Photo Sharing Service izitru Establishes Photoshop-Free Zone
- Emulex and Compuware Team Up to Drastically Improve Data Centre Problem Identification and Resolution
- The Linux Foundation's Core Infrastructure Initiative Announces New Backers, First Projects to Receive Support and Advisory Board Members
- Building a Drag-and-Drop Shopping Cart with AJAX
- What Is AJAX?
- Google Maps! AJAX-Style Web Development Using ASP.NET
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- How and Why AJAX, Not Java, Became the Favored Technology for Rich Internet Applications
- Flashback to January 2006: Exclusive SYS-CON.TV Interviews on "OpenAjax Alliance" Announcement
- "Real-World AJAX" One-Day Seminar Arrives in Silicon Valley
- AJAXWorld Conference & Expo to Take Place October 2-4, 2006, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, California
- AJAX Sponsor Webcasts Are Now Available at AJAXWorld Website
- AJAXWorld University Announces AJAX Developer Bootcamp
- i-Technology 2008 Predictions: Where's RIAs, AJAX, SOA and Virtualization Headed in 2008?
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
Jul. 23, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,284
Cloud Computing is evolving into a Big Three of Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure. Cloud 360: Multi-Cloud Bootcamp, being held Nov 4–5, 2014, in conjunction with 15th Cloud Expo in Santa Clara, CA, delivers a real-world demonstration of how to deploy and configure a scalable and available web application on all three platforms. The Cloud 360 Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, an analyst with Gigaom Research, is the first bootcamp that introduces the core concepts of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) based on the workings of the Big Three platforms – Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine, and Azure VMs. Bootcamp attendees will get to see the big picture and also receive the knowledge needed to make the best cloud decisions for their business applications and entire enterprise IT organization.
Jul. 23, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,173
The Internet of Things is a natural complement to the cloud and related technologies such as Big Data, analytics, and mobility. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Joe Weinman will lay out four generic strategies – digital disciplines – to exploit emerging digital technologies for strategic advantage. Joe Weinman has held executive leadership positions at Bell Labs, AT&T, Hewlett-Packard, and Telx, in areas such as corporate strategy, business development, product management, operations, and R&D.
Jul. 21, 2014 11:17 AM EDT Reads: 1,764
SYS-CON Events announced today that DevOps.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's “DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo,” which will take place on June 10–12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. DevOps.com is where the world meets DevOps. It is the largest collection of original content relating to DevOps on the web today Featuring up-to-the-minute news, feature stories, blogs, bylined articles and more, DevOps.com is where the thought leaders of the DevOps movement make their ideas known.
Jul. 20, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,564
There are 182 billion emails sent every day, generating a lot of data about how recipients and ISPs respond. Many marketers take a more-is-better approach to stats, preferring to have the ability to slice and dice their email lists based numerous arbitrary stats. However, fundamentally what really matters is whether or not sending an email to a particular recipient will generate value. Data Scientists can design high-level insights such as engagement prediction models and content clusters that allow marketers to cut through the noise and design their campaigns around strong, predictive signals, rather than arbitrary statistics. SendGrid sends up to half a billion emails a day for customers such as Pinterest and GitHub. All this email adds up to more text than produced in the entire twitterverse. We track events like clicks, opens and deliveries to help improve deliverability for our customers – adding up to over 50 billion useful events every month. While SendGrid data covers only abo...
Jul. 20, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,220
SYS-CON Events announced today that the Web Host Industry Review has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Since 2000, The Web Host Industry Review has made a name for itself as the foremost authority of the Web hosting industry providing reliable, insightful and comprehensive news, reviews and resources to the hosting community. TheWHIR Blogs provides a community of expert industry perspectives. The Web Host Industry Review Magazine also offers a business-minded, issue-driven perspective of interest to executives and decision-makers. WHIR TV offers on demand web hosting video interviews and web hosting video features of the key persons and events of the web hosting industry. WHIR Events brings together like-minded hosting industry professionals and decision-makers in local communities. TheWHIR is an iNET Interactive property.
Jul. 20, 2014 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,739
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Jul. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,750
SYS-CON Events announced today that Verizon has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Verizon Enterprise Solutions creates global connections that generate growth, drive business innovation and move society forward. With industry-specific solutions and a full range of global wholesale offerings provided over the company's secure mobility, cloud, strategic networking and advanced communications platforms, Verizon Enterprise Solutions helps open new opportunities around the world for innovation, investment and business transformation. Visit verizonenterprise.com to learn more.
Jul. 18, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,733
SYS-CON Events announced today that TMCnet has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Technology Marketing Corporation (TMC) is the world's leading business to business and integrated marketing media company, servicing niche markets within the communications and technology industries.
Jul. 15, 2014 04:21 PM EDT Reads: 1,212
"In my session I spoke about enterprise cloud analytics and how we can leverage analytics as a service," explained Ajay Budhraja, CTO at the Department of Justice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 14th International Cloud Expo®, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Cloud Expo® 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading Cloud industry players in the world.
Jul. 15, 2014 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,803
“We are starting to see people move beyond the commodity cloud and enterprises need to start focusing on additional value added services in order to really drive their adoption," explained Jason Mondanaro, Director of Product Management at MetraTech, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 14th International Cloud Expo®, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Cloud Expo® 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading Cloud industry players in the world.
Jul. 15, 2014 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,776
"We are automated capacity control software, which basically looks at all the supply and demand and running a virtual cloud environment and does a deep analysis of that and says where should things go," explained Andrew Hillier, Co-founder & CTO of CiRBA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 14th International Cloud Expo®, held June 10-12, 2014, at the Javits Center in New York City. Cloud Expo® 2014 Silicon Valley, November 4–6, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading Cloud industry players in the world.
Jul. 15, 2014 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,974
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mac Devine, Distinguished Engineer at IBM, will discuss bringing these three elements together via Systems of Discover.
Jul. 15, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,093
The Internet of Things promises to transform businesses (and lives), but navigating the business and technical path to success can be difficult to understand. In his session at 15th Internet of @ThingsExpo, Chad Jones, Vice President, Product Strategy of LogMeIn's Xively IoT Platform, will show you how to approach creating broadly successful connected customer solutions using real world business transformation studies including New England BioLabs and more.
Jul. 14, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,133
All too many discussions about DevOps conclude that the solution is an all-purpose player: developer and operations guru, complete with pager for round-the-clock duty. For most organizations that is not the way forward. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Golden, Vice President of Strategy at ActiveState, will discuss how to achieve the agility and speed of end-to-end automation without requiring an organization stocked with Supermen and Superwomen.
Jul. 14, 2014 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,846