|By PR Newswire||
|November 7, 2012 12:53 PM EST||
Continuing education credits from APA and IAAO
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Nov 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Users who engage in the Lincoln Institute's self-paced online education courses about land use planning and property tax policy can now get continuing education credit from the American Planning Association and the International Association of Assessment Officers.
Upon completion of the courses, users can apply to get one credit for each hour of approved online education completed. The planning-related courses are for certification maintenance credits for planners accredited by APA's professional institute, the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP),says Armando Carbonell, chair of the Department of Planning and Urban Form.
The tax-related courses are eligible for continuing education credit within IAAO's professional designation program, according to, and Joan Youngman, chair of the Department of Valuation and Taxation.
As part of its continuing commitment to online education, the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy currently offers 12 online courses that are now available on the Adobe Captivate platform for optimal viewing. There are also numerous online courses in Spanish, in addition to lectures and conference keynote presentations at the Lectures & Videos page.
Under the Department of Planning and Urban Form, the APA-eligible courses are:
1. Comprehensive Planning. Underscoring the critical importance of citizen planners in shaping the future of their communities through simple actions (or inactions) that can have important consequences, this course encourages responsible stewardship in a society that is rapidly changing. Modules provide users with tools and techniques, case studies, good practices, and other resources to meet the needs of twenty-first century urban, rural, or suburban communities.
2. Introduction to New England Forests The topics of forest management, ecology, stewardship, and sustainability are explored in this online program coordinated by Brian Donahue of Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass. They discuss how woodlands can be actively managed for timber and at the same time protected, in the context of urban and suburban growth, for future generations.
3. Local Communities Adapting to Climate Change Adapted from a two-day course developed by Larry Susskind, Patrick Field and Todd Schenk at the Consensus Building Institute in collaboration with Steve Aldrich of Bio Economic Research Associates (bio-eraTM), and Paul Kirshen at Battelle, this course introduces decision makers to tools for climate change adaptation planning, using videos, interactive exercises, and self-assessments.
4. Practical Ecology Dan Perlman of Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts introduces key lessons from the sciences of ecology and conservation biology to help land use planners, developers, and members of planning boards manage the interface between humans and nature for the benefit of all parties. Incorporating ecological and conservation insights into planning and development will increase human health and safety, add to human pleasure, and help protect native species and ecosystems.
5. Property Rights in America In this course, property rights scholar Harvey Jacobs at the University of Wisconsin–Madison acquaints participants with the history and structure of the property rights movement; approaches taken to restrict land use and environmental planning and policy (such as Measure 37 in Oregon); strategies to engage land use planning's opponents in constructive dialogue; policy approaches that address the concerns of property rights advocates; and the future of property rights in local, state, and national politics.
6. Resolving Land Use Disputes Based on the introductory course offered as part of the Mediating Land Use Disputes Series developed by Patrick Field, Ona Ferguson, and others at the Consensus Building Institute with the Lincoln Institute, this course presents practical experience and insights into negotiating and mediating solutions to conflicts over land use and community development. Through filmed lectures, interactive exercises, and simulations, participants learn about cases involving land development and community designing and adopting land use plans, and evaluating development proposals.
Under the Department of Valuation and Taxation, the IAAO eligible courses are:
7. Designing and Implementing Property Tax Systems in Africa This course provides an overview of property taxation and its role in fiscal decentralization, reviews current international practices and trends in developing and developed countries, discusses the implications of choosing different property tax bases, and examines the administrative realities inherent in any property tax system.
8. Successful Property Tax Reform: The Case of Massachusetts This course examines the deep problems of the Massachusetts property tax in the 1970s and the subsequent reforms that created one of the most functional and fair property tax systems in the United States. Course modules explore the property tax system prior to reform; events leading up to the tax revolt and the assessment reforms; and the future of the current system.
9. Taxation and Economic Development Developed by Jeffrey Chapman of Arizona State University, this course analyzes the theory and tools of local economic development in the United States. In addition to modules focused on the role of the property tax and economic development, the course also explores economic development theory and the current state of the law on these issues; innovative public financial incentives; the role of the community in economic development; special problems in rural areas; and includes case studies offering private and public perspectives on these issues.
10. The New Model of Tax Administration This course examines advanced statistical methods and new technology, such as spatial analysis and geographic information systems (GIS), that can improve the valuation of land and buildings for tax purposes.
11. Two-Rate Taxation of Land and Buildings: Benefits and Challenges of Innovative Property Tax Reform This course presents a variety of political and economic views on the taxation of land and buildings. It reviews the rationale for applying different tax rates to land and buildings, describes the history of two-rate taxation in Pennsylvania, and discusses current issues in the assessment of land value.
12. Valuing Land Affected by Conservation Easements Conservation easements brings together land policy, environmental questions and tax policy in a complex and compelling way; and though widely used and accepted since its implementation several decades ago, conservation easements still generate controversy. This course provides an overview of conservation easements, including background on the current policy debate, and draws on experts in environmental studies, planning, tax law, valuation and assessment.
The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy is a leading resource for key issues concerning the use, regulation, and taxation of land. Providing high quality education and research, the Institute strives to improve public dialogue and decisions about land policy.
SOURCE Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
This talk focuses on the application of DevOps fundamentals to include network infrastructure. It draws from real deployment case studies on the extension of today's paradigms to address the challenges of the network infrastructures' ability to seamlessly and cohesively integrate into agile workflows. In this session at DevOps Summit, Arista Networks will focus on configuration management using automation with a nod to future work necessary to include telemetry and ephemeral state information....
May. 5, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,089
Avnet, Inc. has announced that it ranked No. 4 on the InformationWeek Elite 100 – a list of the top business technology innovators in the U.S. Avnet was recognized for the development of an innovative cloud-based training system that serves as the foundation for Avnet Academy – the company’s education and training organization focused on technical training around top IT vendor technologies. The development of this system allowed Avnet to quickly expand its IT-related training capabilities around...
May. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 878
SYS-CON Events announced today that dcVAST, a leader in IT infrastructure management, support service and cloud service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. dcVAST provides cutting-edge IT services and IT infrastructure management services. dcVAST builds robust systems that are simple, secure and serviceable. dcVAST’s IT infrastructure support and IT services expertise can help companies r...
May. 5, 2015 04:02 PM EDT Reads: 461
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developmen...
May. 5, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 855
While Docker continues to be the darling of startups, enterprises and IT innovators around the world, networking continues to be a real mess. Indeed, managing the interaction between Docker containers and networks has always been fraught with complications. Without automation in networking, the vision of running Docker at scale and letting IT run the same apps unchanged on the laptop and in the data center or for any cloud cannot be realized.
May. 5, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 885
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
May. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 802
SYS-CON Events announced today the DevOps Foundation Certification Course, being held June ?, 2015, in conjunction with DevOps Summit and 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows will res...
May. 5, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,379
Docker is becoming very popular--we are seeing every major private and public cloud vendor racing to adopt it. It promises portability and interoperability, and is quickly becoming the currency of the Cloud. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bart Copeland, CEO of ActiveState, discussed why Docker is so important to the future of the cloud, but will also take a step back and show that Docker is actually only one piece of the puzzle. Copeland will outline the bigger picture of where Docker fits a...
May. 5, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,307
A new definition of Big Data & the practical applications of the defined components & associated technical architecture models This presentation introduces a new definition of Big Data, along with the practical applications of the defined components and associated technical architecture models. In his session at Big Data Expo, Tony Shan will start with looking into the concept of Big Data and tracing back the first definition by Doug Laney, and then he will dive deep into the description of 3V...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,122
SYS-CON Events announced today that CenturyLink, Inc., a leader in the network services market, has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by technology industry analyst firms. The company is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and ...
May. 5, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,254
As cloud gives an opportunity to businesses to buy services externally – how is cloud impacting your customers? In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Fabio Gori, Director of Worldwide Cloud Marketing at Cisco, provided answers to big questions: Do you see hybrid cloud as where the world is going? What benefits does it bring? And how does Cisco connect all of these clouds? He also discussed Intercloud and Cisco’s investment on it.
May. 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,134
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
May. 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,475
The Internet of Things Maturity Model (IoTMM) is a qualitative method to gauge the growth and increasing impact of IoT capabilities in an IT environment from both a business and technology perspective. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan will first scan the IoT landscape and investigate the major challenges and barriers. The key areas of consideration are identified to get started with IoT journey. He will then pinpoint the need of a tool for effective IoT adoption and implementation, whic...
May. 5, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,148
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immed...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,795
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,919
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on T...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,927
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,382
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, a...
May. 5, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,415
There are 182 billion emails sent every day, generating a lot of data about how recipients and ISPs respond. Many marketers take a more-is-better approach to stats, preferring to have the ability to slice and dice their email lists based numerous arbitrary stats. However, fundamentally what really matters is whether or not sending an email to a particular recipient will generate value. Data Scientists can design high-level insights such as engagement prediction models and content clusters that a...
May. 5, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,486
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
May. 5, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,161